1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family members who play (lots of) sports

Discussion in 'Digital records' started by LynneB, Jun 21, 2017.

1. LynneB

LynneB LostCousins Member

I use Family Tree Maker to record my family history information. There are many built-in fact categories that I will never use. But "other" I seem to overuse.
    For example, my first cousin once removed, played tennis and cricket, and was on the Progress Association, The Returned Servicemen's League and the Road Safety Committee. (I discovered all this from reading old newspapers). This means that, right now, I have 4 Residence facts, two Occupation, 2 Military, 1 Education and 8 others!
    I decided to make a fact category called "Sports" because so many of my relatives played sports. Has anyone else done that? Is there any reason not to do so? Alexander, will it upset Family Tree Analyser a lot?
    But what of the clubs/associations/groups? What do other members do with these facts?
    Looking forward to your views.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Lynne,

It's a custom fact so won't upset FTA. I also use custom facts and they appear in FTA with no issue. It makes more sense to create a custom fact than over use others. And by creating specific custom facts it allows you to search and list them uniquely in FTA.