1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family History Journals/Magazines

Discussion in 'More British Isles Resources' started by Emma, May 17, 2013.

1. Emma

Emma Member

Having a "clear-out" and looking for suggestions as to what to do with old Devon and Cornwall Family History Societies journals. Would like them to go somewhere where they would be useful although postage could be prohibitive! Also have Cornish World magazines - the family history society took the first ones but do not have storage space for any more. Do other members have this problem? All helpful suggestions welcome :)

2. GillW

GillW LostCousins Member

I would be interested in the Devon FHS journals (my mother-in-law's family came from there) - what dates are they and how many ? I can send you a cheque for postage if we arrange a 'private contact details' exchange?

3. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

I also have this problem but mine are mostly Lincolnshire-based and such a wealth of information. I have thought about the possibility of perhaps a section/thread where we can offer, for free, our unwanted FH record collections in any format but think that the convoluted laws and possible problematic situations arising from these exchanges for Peter and the Forum, would make it all too difficult. Having said that, maybe if all transactions were carried out by private email addresses and a LC responsibility disclaimer or similar was agreed, these would make wonderful gifts. Failing all that - put them on eBay with a zero-pence cost and just the price of the postage and packing as I have previously seen.

4. Emma

Emma Member

Both sound good ideas to me. Have had an interest in some of my journals and we are sorting it out privately. May try the e-bay option as would like it all to be of use to someone - just can' t throw them all away!:(

5. Jennie

That's good! Know how you feel, I'm exactly the same. Perhaps you'd let us know on here, what choice you made and how it went, please?

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

There are no legal bars to selling or giving away printed books or magazines - at least, not in England.

7. Emma

Emma Member

Will do Jennie. Had another thought - I think there's a message board on Devon FHS website and maybe Cornwall too so will look into that as well.

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  8. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Free listing on eBay.co.uk until Monday!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Jennie

Good idea, and very inspirational (says she looking at her boxes of FHS journals!!).