1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

False assumptions

Discussion in 'General' started by Karen, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Karen

Karen Member

I have an ancestor Betty Sharples who, according to the 1841 census was NOT born in Lancashire. Sadly she died before the 1851 census, and while I tried various methods to find more about her, I was unsuccessful. Sharples is just so Lancashire a name. Then I mentioned my problem on the Lancashire Family History and Heraldry site and a member noted that there was a Betty Sharples of the right age in her tree. I did further research on this Betty and indeed she is "mine". So the moral of this tale is "don't assume the information is correct unless verified - even if the information is apparently negative."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Good tip Good tip x 1