1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Facebook as an aid to genealogical research

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I needed to speed up a project -promised a while ago to a young lady (who I shall refer to as G) – to research her family. Sadly, it went on the back-burner and only now -with a wedding looming (to my grandson no less) – I had to set about it forthwith.

It was far from easy what with her mother being adopted (with a name change by her adoptive parents); both parents had remarried were still living and each had children from different marriages. I came across so many obstacles -who belonged to whom, when/ where born, uncertainty about grand parentage and more in the same vein.

I had learned that G and most of her female relatives were big Facebook users. My wife and I use Facebook in a small way to communicate with family & friends; although I admit to belonging to a fantastic ‘old photographs’ group recommended to me by someone on the Forum as it happens. I decided to check out G’s Facebook page and see if it would help me identify both her bloodline and step parentage. It turned out to be a veritable treasure trove.

Both her mother and step-mother communicated regularly, (providing stepping stones to respective fathers, siblings and cousins). By comparing what Facebook revealed, with information gleaned from normal research, I soon learned the role of each. After than it was a much easier task to check on each using normal research methods.

I had to admit defeat on her mother’s bloodline because of her adoption as a baby, but as she had asked me to extend her adoptive line, that I was able to do. I still had ‘brick walls, but one was resolved when after studying photos and the list of those who had downloaded same, and came across a surname that decidedly rang a bell as being one of two undecided connections.

I admit it was only constant use of Facebook by her family that allowed me to progress so quickly. It was a step-by-step process, like assembling a jigsaw with each piece leading on to another. Photos were a real big help, especially those where names were tagged.

As for invasions of privacy -when presenting G with a GenoPro chart - I owned up to the invaluable help of Facebook and she and family minded not in the least. I am sure some will consider the use of Facebook in this way an intrusion, but it is a Social Medium, and I used it as such.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

What you can see on Facebook depends on the other person's settings. I sometimes use Facebook to track down LostCousins members who have changed their email address, but often the amount of information I can see is so limited that I can't tell if it's the right person.

This is a good thing, by the way - it shows that more Facebook users are conscious of the risks to their privacy than was once the case.

3. Bob Spiers

For the most part people seem to settle on 'Family & Friends' so - provided you are recognisably within this remit with at least one member (better two or more) and are recognised as such - finding those similarly connected is not too difficult. Mind you sometime even that does not work, as recently trying to locate the husband of a cousin -who chose to show no photo or location and did not use his first name - spelled failure. In the end I had to ask my cousin for details.

For my own part I observe the same 'family & friends' but control what I see by means of blocking posts that are distasteful and 'persons' (sadly even junior family members) who are given to just 'sharing' everything that takes their fancy. As always, each to his/her own.

4. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Bob, unfortunately some 'junior' members use inappropriate language and they think it is okay...they get blocked/deleted by me. I am dismayed at people using (usually 'F word) as if it is acceptable. (I mean writing/typing it). I hasten to add my children DO NOT.

And don't get me started on spelling/grammar! I have blocked one or two on facebook groups because it is such a struggle to make sense of their posts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bob Spiers

Emjay, tell me about it? Both my wife and I have had to block a niece as she seems to want to punctuate everything she posts on Facebook with the 'F' word. Quite unacceptable. I remember a few years back challenging my grandson then in his early teens and in the early days of Facebook , for introducing the occasional 'F' word into his posts. I did this via the same medium and he apologised but my daughter said..."Dad, you're showing your age"..."he is just going through a phase". (That turned out to be true as it happens because now, married with a child living in Bermuda he is every bit the grown up parent). But equally annoying, for different reasons, are those -junior and not so junior - who post 'Crapsville Arizona' garbage (Share this with others or you will have bad luck for a year sort of thing). After a day or two of this I'm afraid they get 'blocked/deleted.

Amen to that as well and some Twitter posts are barely intelligible.

PS I do enjoy the 'old photographs' group you introduced me to a while ago...that is Facebook at its best, as are some Irish genealogy groups I have added myself. Luckily most of the comments that accompany are interesting and literate.

• Agree Agree x 3