1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Emigrants returning to Ireland

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Kate, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hello
    Does anyone know if many people returned to Ireland after leaving in 1840s/50s?
    I have been able to trace my line from those who arrived in the early 1850s but some of the siblings and their descendants are elusive. In general, the girls are easier to locate as they married and stayed here, but i wonder if the boys were more adventurous and set off for Ireland, USA or went into in the army, so I have been unable to trace their descendants.
    Obviously, I have listed the family on Lost Cousins!
    Thank you.

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I would say it more likely they chose further afield, although some may have been drawn back to the 'Emerald Isle' which had been so unkind to them during the 'Great Famine' of the 1840's. As you say the girls were often content to find a spouse, especially one in work. The boys needed to find work which would draw them into the Big Cities like Manchester, Birmingham and the Black Country. Navvying was often the only choice available, digging out for Canals, Railways and the like. This would take them away from their immigrant family home, so widen your search horizons.

I lost track of two of my irish male family immigrants, and later found one sailing to America, but the other eluded me and still has. Try Passenger lists for the USA (or Canada) and Ellis Island Records but I am sure others may have different advice to give.

3. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Thanks, I will bear that in mind.

4. GrahamC

GrahamC LostCousins Member

Don't forget Australia and New Zealand.

5. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Thanks .