1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Elizabeth Eliza Curtis is not 105

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by SueMay, Oct 25, 2022.

1. SueMay

SueMay LostCousins Member

Well, if my research is correct, I don't think she was.
    This is what I found and would be interested to hear what others think:

Elizabeth Eliza Curtis
    1911 census – Margate St John the Baptist, Kent.

At the moment I haven’t been able to find her on the 1901 census record but I am assuming this is around the time her husband died.

Based on the information of her being born in Faversham, Kent, this is who I think she is…

1891 census – Cheshunt, Edmonton, Hertfordshire
    Husband: George Curtis, 66 (1825), Gun smith, Cheshunt, Edmonton, Hertfordshire

1881 census – Cheshunt, Edmonton, Hertfordshire
    Husband: George Curtis, 56 (1825), Gun barrel filer, Cheshunt

1871 census – Cheshunt, Edmonton, Hertfordshire
    Husband: George Curtis, 44 (1827), Gunsmith Enfield Factory, Cheshunt

1861 census – Cheshunt, Edmonton, Hertfordshire
    Husband: George Curtis, 36 (1825), Foreman powder making, Cheshunt

1851 census – Waltham Holy Cross, Edmonton, Essex (living with her parents; James O Brian & Mather ???)
    Surname: Curtie, Age: 23 (1828), Born: (transcribed as) Teversham, Kent
    Husband: George Curtis, 36 (1825), Gun Maker, Cheshunt

Marriage: 8 October 1849, Waltham Holy Cross, Edmonton

Baptism: 18 Dec 1826, Faversham, daughter of James & Martha O’Brien

It does, however, make me wonder why she made herself older. Could it have been to be able to receive a benefit of some sort???

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

By the time Old Age Pensions came in she was well over the qualification age (70). However if her husband left her a legacy she might have got a better deal on an annuity by claiming to be older.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

There are lots of Ancestry trees with her in (47, it says). The top one (McKitterick Family Tree, of GoodmanMary) has the 1841 (name obriant, age 14) and 1901 (age 81, a widow, in Islington as "aunt"). But none of them gets past 1901, nor has her death. That was in 1922, in Thanet - recorded age 106. That got her into the papers, adding odd journalist-friendly factoids like her claim to have nursed (and smacked!) "the late King Edward".

But as to her real age, and - assuming she really was the one born in 1826 - who made her older and why, I can only guess. And, given she died in Kent, could someone have gone to find her baptism record? Maybe it was not that important to anyone, and no so easy to do then either. And of course it doesn't give her age anyway.

The longest report is in the Thanet Advertiser of 18 February 1922 (p5). It records a gift of £5 from Queen Alexandra (the said King Edward's widow), to avoid a pauper's burial, but with no admission of any truth in her stories. Other reports say she retained her mental faculties, but the threshold for saying that about a 106-year-old was probably pretty low. I don't think it precludes her having got confused about her year of birth, and who else would know better by then?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1