1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Electoral registers 1910

Discussion in 'Middlesex' started by Kate, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hello, does anyone know what made a man eligible to vote in 1910?
    I have found someone whose abode is given and, in the column marked 'description of qualifying property', there is the address where he lives and another address, too. I can't imagine he owned one house let alone two.
    Thank you.
    I have put this post here as it relates to someone in the Edmonton area and I didn't know where else to post!

2. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

The rules changed quite a lot over the years but prior to 1918, only men owning or occupying a residential or business property and some male lodgers could vote in national elections. The two properties may have been the house he rented and a shop or business property he rented.

You may find a code on the page which indicates the voting privileges of the person, but these codes may not have applied in 1910.

A dash ( – ) – Person could not vote in the election

R – Residence qualification

BP – Business premises qualification

O – Occupational qualification

HO – Qualification through husband's occupation

NM – Naval or military voter

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Thanks, this has also helped with another one I was looking at.

4. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

Glad to help, I know the problems I had when I looked at these pages for the first time.