1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Effect of unusual names

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Liberty, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I feel sorry for some of the modern names inflicted on children these days. Not only do they have mangled spellings but often there is no way to distinguish the sex of the child by their given names.:confused:

2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

However, the difficulty of telling the sex of children from their given names is nothing new, is it? A few that come to mind are Joyce, Beverl(e)y, Hilary and Evelyn. I'm sure there are lots more.

3. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I'm resurrecting this discussion because today I came upon a gentleman with the surname Excell (pity about the two l's) among my forebears in mid-19th century Kent. I've only just discovered him, besides which he's 'only' a relative by marriage and died before he and his wife had any offspring, so I don't know how widespread the surname is.

4. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Excellent post Gillian.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

The surname Excell crops up in my tree, also by marriage, in Gloucestershire and I don't think it is particularly unusual. It may, of course, be regional - reasonably common in Gloucestershire but less so elsewhere - but I haven't investigated. I think the most common variant spellings are Excell and Exell but I have also come across both those variants spelt with a single 'l'.