1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Does Manchester belong in Lancashire?

Discussion in 'More Lancashire Resources' started by Cathy, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Cathy

Cathy Moderator Staff Member

I think Manchester today is a separate city (my fuzziness about English current jurisdictions showing :eek:) but historically was part of Lancashire. So do Manchester records belong in this forum?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Today, Manchester is in the county of Greater Manchester. Greater Manchester came into existence in 1974.
    Until then, it was in Lancashire.

So yes, Manchester belongs in Lancashire.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

On the whole we're going to work on the basis of where places were in 1851, since FamilySearch has a fantastic map of England with all sorts of handy information (I'm hoping that one day they'll extend the coverage). However the London area might need to be handled slightly differently.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  4. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Yes Manchester does belong in Lancashire....except when it is in Gtr. Manchester, i.e. searching Electoral Rolls on FMP.
    I've searched for people I've known to have lived in Manchester, but broadened the search to 'Lancashire' and not found
    them, but then have under ' Gtr. Manchester '.
    These records however, I have to say, are a very welcome addition to the FMP resources. Because they are up to date (2013),
    when a subject's entry does not appear after, for example 2004, they have moved on or deceased. Sadly for me I have found
    death (in one case - Premature) to be the reason.