1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNA surprise

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by PeterM, Aug 27, 2020.

1. PeterM

PeterM LostCousins Member

I have two matches on FTDNA which surprises me. The match to the first one, I will call him CRM, is 66cm. He has a great grandfather Hugh. The other is to, what I believe is his son, I will call him CJM, has a match of 70cM. The same Hugh is his 2xgreat grandfather. So the match to the son is greater than to the father. Is this possible?
    Also, according to FTDNA they are 2nd to 4th cousins. The closest I can get with records is that CRM is a 4th cousin once removed, making CRJ a fifth cousin.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

FTDNA match information is very unreliable because by default they include very short segments which are probably spurious. Re-run the numbers (or ideally stick to Ancestry).

As far as relationships are concerned, they're only a very rough guide (even at Ancestry). For any serious analysis use the table and chart in the Masterclass.

3. PeterM

PeterM LostCousins Member

I transferred my DNA from Ancestry to get this match. The match to CRM has a segment of 44cM and the match to CJM has a segment of 42cM. As you say the other matches are vey small segments.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Great - problem solved!