1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Divorce

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by les.the.paperman, Mar 29, 2018.

1. les.the.paperman

les.the.paperman LostCousins Member

Quite simply, is there an easy way to trace divorces.

I have a family on 1939 register. After the war I found another child but the mother didn't match.

I found the father had remarried but then I found that the mother had as well.

I have to assume that they divorced but can't/don't know where to look for an answer.

It appears to be a 'dead' branch, so there's nobody I can ask.

Any help appreciated.

Les

2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Les, Divorces are sometimes detailed in newspapers and Find my Past has a huge amount of records, give them a try.

3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

If they divorced after 1939 and you are hoping to find records online then, as Heather suggests, newspapers are your best option. You may not find any detail, unless it was a high profile divorce, but you may find them in a list of decrees issued.

Alternatively, this page on the government website indicates how you can obtain a copy of a decree absolute, but you will see that if you don't know when or at which court, this is not cheap.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

But it's not going to tell you anything other than the fact that they divorced - which you could also confirm by obtaining one of the marriage certificates.

There is a research guide on divorce on the National Archives site, but as you'll see the case papers they hold only go up to 1937 (there are a handful after that date). Well worth a read, however.

• Useful Useful x 2