1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Discovering Shropshire's History

Discussion in 'More Shropshire Resources' started by AtcherleyOrgUK, Jul 3, 2013.

1. AtcherleyOrgUK

AtcherleyOrgUK LostCousins Member

http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/searching-the-archives/

The staff at Shropshire Archives have done a brilliant job in cataloguing the documents in their care, many (though by no means all) of which have had their contents summarised with all the key names, dates, facts etc. The details can be searched via the link above. Wildcards can be used, so for example if I want to find documents containing the name Atcherley and most of its regular variants (but without lots of references to archaeology which would otherwise also appear!) I search for: a*ch*l*y -archaeology

Once you have found a document of interest, you can visit the Archives and (with a valid Shropshire Archives Reader's Ticket, not a CARN reader's ticket) view the original in the search room. If a visit is not possible, you can contact the Archives to request that they send you a photocopy or digital copy, for which a fee will of course be charged (always assuming the state of the document is such that it can be copied without causing damage). I have to say, in many cases where the catalogue entry is nice and detailed, viewing the original has proved to be unnecessary (though of course it's always nice to see the original article).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1