1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Discover Rutland

Discussion in 'More Rutland Resources' started by Jennie, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

This is the official tourism website for Rutland with Family History being one of its topics, and provides plenty of information on these sources. The introduction suggests that if you, like many others, are researching your family history and your trail has led to Rutland (lucky you!), why not come and visit the substantial local studies and family history collection at Rutland County Museum in Oakham? The records available at the Museum are detailed in a free downloadable .pdf.

2. PaulE

PaulE New Member

I recently spent some time in the County Museum while visiting Rutland. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The resources of interest to genealogists are in the Local Studies Collection, which is described here.
    If you need to use the microfiche reader (e.g. for parish records) it would be wise to book in advance - I would have missed out if I had not done so. They have a reader which, for a small fee, will print out the screen display. I also took digital photos of the display but this is not ideal as the reader faces windows and you get a reflection.
    Also bear in mind that the Museum is not open every day of the week.