1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

"Digging for Essex Roots: Resources for Family History in Essex"

Discussion in 'Essex' started by Susan48, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

The Society of Genealogists are offering a half-day course on this topic at their premises in London on Saturday 14 February 10:30-13:00. I signed up for it yesterday and there were still plenty of places left. The speaker is Allyson Lewis from the Essex Record Office.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately I can't be there (as it's my wedding anniversary), so could you please post details in the More Essex Resources forum of anything that isn't already listed on the Essex Resources page? Thanks!

3. Susan48

Will do, Peter. And happy anniversary!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Susan48

The course was very well attended - i.e. full! and Allyson Lewis gave an excellent presentation of resources held both at the Essex Record Office in Cheltenham and further afield. Most are already listed here on the Essex Resources page. Allyson promised to send everyone a list of resources by email in due course, so watch this space for further details.

The point that stayed with me was the way the boundaries of Essex changed as London expanded into the ancient county. So for example the County Boroughs of West Ham, East Ham, and Southend on Sea were formed in 1889, 1906 and 1912 respectively, followed by 5 Metropolitan Boroughs in 1965, with the Metropolitan Boroughs all making different provision for archive services. So even if your ancestors stayed in the same place for generations the records relating to that place could well have ended up in several different archives.

Allyson also gave us a demonstration of the ERO's online catalogue SEAX, with images of some of the original documents available to view online, including the unexpected "Essex Poaching Prevention Society Minute Book".;)

This was my first visit to the Society of Genealogists premises, and I shall definitely go again - there's the whole library to explore:).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. peter

Thanks, Susan - much appreciated.

6. Susan48

7. peter

I wore Bata shoes when I was a boy - they offered free replacements if they wore out in the first year, and funnily enough mine always did.

8. Susan48

Perhaps your family, like mine, didn't have a car so as children we walked more. I'd still rather walk than use the car if it's a manageable distance. Or perhaps you were just hard on shoes - my brother wore his out so quickly that my mother bought him Tuf shoes - anyone remember those?

9. peter

Yes, I think I had those later on. In fact, thinking about it, it might have been the Tuf shoes that came with the guarantee.

We didn't have a family car until I was about 14, and even then I never got a lift anywhere - I had to walk or cycle. The only time I got to ride in the car was when we were on a family outing, and of course at that age I'd try to avoid doing anything that involved family.

10. Susan48

Yes, I'm sure it was, which was why my mother liked them for my brother. As far as appearance was concerned I suppose they were an earlier and less trendy version of Doc Martens.

11. Susan48

After several years of dithering I finally sent a request to the Essex Record Office for a digital copy of a Settlement Certificate for Colchester in 1721 relating to a possible direct ancestor. The image came today and I am over the moon because it has broken down a major brick wall!!! The certificate names not just the man, but his wife - which confirms a marriage - and their son - the vital hitherto missing link. I can't tell you how thrilled I am:):):) By the way, the digital image service from the ERO is excellent as you can play around with the images once they're downloaded, and the cost is very modest.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3