1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Different prices for Ancestry DNA kits

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Helen7, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I notice that if I go to Ancestry.co.uk without logging in, there is a prominent link to order your DNA kit at a cost of £79. Then if I log in to my account and go to my DNA page and click on the 'order more kits' link, the price is still £79 (+£9.99 shipping). My name, address, credit card details are already filled in, all I have to do is 'submit order' at £88.99 (incl. shipping)).

However, if I then go to log out, I get a full page screen advertising 'Exclusive Offer - £20 off' where the price is reduced to £59. It seems to know I have already tested, as the description talks about 'kits for the whole family' and the button is 'Order More Kits'. If I click on this, it does indeed confirm the price as £59 + £9.99 shipping, and again my name, address, credit card details are all filled in, all I have to do is 'submit order' at £68.99 (incl. shipping).

So I am very confused! Why the different prices? If this is an offer for 'existing customers' why not offer me the discount in the link from my DNA page?

Has anyone else come across this anomaly?

(I wasn't sure whether to put this in the DNA forum or the 'problems with Ancestry' forum, so apologies if it's in the wrong place!)

2. palfamily

palfamily LostCousins Member

I got caught by that. I had seen that reduced offer and when I ordered a new kit expected that to be the price. It wasn’t so I searched high and low looking but couldn’t find any mention of it. I paid the normal price. A few days later I logged out ot my account and there was the offer!

3. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I received an e-mail this week with a special offer of $30 Canadian off for family and friends, regular price $129. I got my own for a special offer of $79 a few months ago. I have not checked the Ancestry site to see if they have something even better because I am not going to take advantage of it anyway.

4. palfamily

I’ve also noticed on MyHeritage that because it’s Halloween they are making me a special offer.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

No point testing with MyHeritage - until 1st December you can transfer your Ancestry results free of charge (and anyone with ancestors from the British Isles who hasn't already tested with Ancestry should do so).

The cheapest prices of the year for DNA tests are likely to be on Black Friday - watch out for my newsletter!

6. canadianbeth

How long does it typically take for MyHeritage to process Ancestry DNA results? I uploaded them several days ago and was told it would take a few days, so am just wondering just what a "few days" really means. And is it worth upgrading to one of the premium accounts? Right now I am free but if I want to click on any smart matches need to upgrade.

7. Helen7

Thanks for this tip. I was toying with buying extra kits for my 2 sons, but can't think what extra information that would yield, given that my husband and I have both already tested. Is there any point in getting my children to test? I notice some of my matches are clearly parent and child (with the child being the weaker match as expected) but I can't think it would lead to any more matches, just maybe reinforce the ones we already have.

8. canadianbeth

Given the fact that I now suspect that my aunts appear to probably have different fathers than my own Dad, is there any point to asking my cousins to test? Since it is my own paternal grandfather that I am trying to find? My niece has tested but she has no trees and all of her information on our side would match anyway. She has a strong match to the same person as I do that is a real possibility but needs more information.

9. Helen7

Well if your cousins tested and came back with no match to this person you and your niece are linked to, that would tend to confirm your suspicion that your dad and your aunts had different fathers, and that this match is linked to your paternal grandfather. So in that case a 'negative' result would at least give you some clarity. But I'm no expert in this, as you can see from my previous post!

10. Helen7

I'm glad I'm not the only one to see the two prices. Typical of Ancestry to be sneaky with their offers!

11. palfamily

I did mine about a week ago and it took two and a bit days. They sent me an email when they were ready.

12. canadianbeth

Well, I am not sure if my paternal cousins would be so happy to know their great-grandmother had been so "busy" shall we say. I know that when I mentioned it to my other aunt's daughter she stopped communicating with me. However, given the information I have about Grandma's intelligence and lack thereof, it would be more likely that she was very easily seduced. She was also the product of first cousins. And I have only met my first cousin, son of my aunt and that was many years ago when we were both much younger. I "know" his offspring only on FB. It would be easiest if he was the one to test but he is 82 and would probably balk as well.

13. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I got my 95 yr old grandmother to test this year... she wasn't particularly happy with me, but she did it. She gets so many results I wish my other grandparents were still around to test!

14. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I'll be posting links to Ancestry's DNA offers shortly.......