1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Database problems at Ancestry?

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by peter, Feb 27, 2018.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Why are you even looking at your own matches if your mother and father have both tested? Surely you should be looking at their matches - your matches should be a subset of their matches, and any matches you have which aren't included in your parents' matches are extremely likely to be spurious.

I appreciate this is off-topic but it's an important point.

2. peter

Almost always, in fact.

3. peter

Do you mean before last August? I didn't notice any problems between getting my DNA results in May and writing the Masterclass 3 months later.

4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Because my matches are the first ones that always appear and sometimes I forget to change the test I’m looking at!

But you’re right, my parents tests are much better when it comes to it.

5. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Yes, I got my results in June last year, & I noticed fairly early on that searches weren't always finding matches I expected to show up in the list of results. I suspect this may have been mainly down to the limitations of this search, though sometimes it seemed like something else might be amiss.

One of the issues I have with searching DNA matches is that restricting the search by adding a place name is very much hit and miss. With uncommon surnames I don't add a location and the resulting list of matches is usually either very short or non-existent. However, searching for a more common surname without a location can produce an unmanageably long list of results to go through.

The location search, however, only searches on birth place and so relies on DNA cousins having (a) entered a birth place, and (b) entered it in Ancestry's standardised format. Thus adding a location to the search (however broadly defined) means that many genuine matches will not show up in the list of results, and I not uncommonly find a lengthy list of results shrinks to no results at all.

So I wholly support your method of searching matches, and anyone trying to work through tens of thousand of matches one by one is likely to end up feeling overwhelmed and disillusioned. But I think it is also worthwhile looking at individuals and checking for shared matches as well as looking through available trees, as this may pick up things a search has missed. I do this as a matter of course with all new matches, and have also done it for all matches where the confidence is rated good and above.

6. peter

That's right - I hardly ever specify a place as well as a name. When I do it's usually a country, or occasionally a county. I'm very aware of the limitations.

But that's not specific to DNA searches, it's also a problem with tree searches generally. The only difference is that many people who have tested their DNA recently have uploaded a tree to Ancestry for the first time, and haven't figured out what they need to do. Indeed my own tree needs some work - right now one of ancestors has been relocated from Cornwall Street, St George in East (London) to Cornwall.

7. Pauline

Except that, when searching trees generally, you can specify locations other than birth places, and you can refine your search in other ways too. With the DNA search, specifying a country may be sufficient to bring the results down to a more manageable level (though sometimes more specific is needed), but it still won't pick up those for whom a birth place hasn't been entered.

It is with our more distant DNA matches that the search method is most needed, yet with these matches our link is often as distant cousins. And the further back we go with our trees, the less likely it is that we will know an ancestor's or relative's birth place.

8. peter

Even though we don't know the precise birthplace of our relative we can usually be pretty certain about the country, perhaps even the county.

But searching your DNA cousins by name and birthplace is something that's so rarely necessary that it's hardly worth worrying about - there is an enormous difference between searching all 90 million Ancestry trees and searching the few thousand trees of your matches!

9. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes absolutely jorghes and will follow through as you say. Thanks

10. Pauline

I guess it goes against the grain to enter an assumed date or place of birth (however broadly defined) into my tree, as it was always somewhat frowned upon to do so - too reminiscent of IGI submissions etc. And with surnames like Price and Jones in my tree I might add England as the assumed birthplace only to later discover it was actually Wales.
    Agreed, though how often it is necessary to include a birthplace will vary from person to person, depending on how may matches, and how many common surnames, they have.

11. peter

I wasn't suggesting you enter that information in your own tree - only that when you search that you use the country or county to filter the results - when this is necessary.
    I get 95 results when I search my 11,600 matches for the surname Smith without any geographical restriction - that's a perfectly manageable number. If I switch to my wife's test (she has Welsh ancestry) I get 129 results for Jones out of nearly 18,000 matches.

So I don't think there is a big problem with common surnames - provided Ancestry's search works properly. After all, what's the alternative?

12. Pauline

Which relies on other people having done what I wouldn’t want to do myself.

13. peter

No it doesn't! They could have entered a more precise place which is within the county or country you specify.

Of course, there will be some who hazard a guess at a birthplace based on the fact that when they were married they were shown as 'otp', or 'of' this or that parish; or based on a will, or some other source. And some may do it simply because they feel that it's more useful to provide a guesstimate than no information at all.

Very often the tree somebody attaches to their DNA results isn't their main tree - logically it should be provided with one key purpose in mind, to make it easier for their cousins to find them. The normal standards of proof are not relevant, especially if it is a private tree.

14. Pauline

It’s all rather academic at present, anyway, because getting back on topic, the search doesn’t seem to be working properly. If I search my matches for Smith I get around 150 results. Adding in England as a location reduces the list to about 60. When I add in a county the list reduces substantially but when I check the results something has gone wrong.

If I try the search with Norfolk I get just one match, but it doesn’t find my sister, which it should as we have Norfolk Smiths with a full birthplace entered. When I check the one match it does find, I find they have 7 Smith ancestors in their tree, all in - Gloucestershire!!

From the checking I’ve done it seems searching on birthplace alone works OK, but when searching on both surname and location things go haywire.

15. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Agreed - searching on both seems to include results which match either but not both.

Perhaps it's part of the problem that puts my direct ancestor as born just north of Manchester in a place called Portsmouth, Hampshire, England :eek:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  16. peter

If it consistently worked like that you would get more results, not fewer. In the last 24 hours I've systematically worked through the first 70 surnames in my list, and on the rare occasions that I added a birthplace it always reduced the number of results.

One 'feature' I noticed with the name search is that it will pick out a forename that matches the surname.
    Isn't that a different problem - to do with the way that Ancestry parse the birthplace information and matches it against their gazetteer?

17. jorghes

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to my invisible person... I added in all this information, and Ancestry has "deleted" him, and replaced him with an un-editable, grey box image as if I never entered all that information in the first place. I have attempted numerous times to add the information back in... and Ancestry refuses to let me (It tells me I've done it, but the ghost doesn't change.). Last time I checked, he and all his information was completely fine on FTM.

[​IMG]

18. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

have you checked to see if there is a duplicate entry?

19. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I was just about to suggest that Tim. Jorges if you go into "tree overview" and then click on "people" you will be able to see if you have duplicate entries for anyone in your tree.

20. jorghes

No duplicate entry for that particular individual, he doesn't appear on the search at all.

Here is the same individual on FTM immediately after syncing my trees:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018