1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Data Entry question

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Jennie, May 24, 2013.

1. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

I'm just adding some more My Ancestors on LC and one red-starred box at the bottom of the page has puzzled me. It is "Household" + "Normally Set to Zero". Could someone, please, give me the correct interpretation of this? I cannot find it referred to in the FAQ. Thanks.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Can you take a screen shot ALT + PrtScn and post it here?

3. Jennie

Thanks, can I get back to you, please - I'm on a mission on My Ancestors?! :)

4. Jennie

LC-Household-Query.jpg Back briefly! England and Wales 1881 - Second box up from the bottom, above "Notes". Although I have often entered info into 'Maiden surname' and have never entered anything where the '0' is, I do not get an error message.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Apologies - there shouldn't be a red asterisk against Household because it is optional.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

What does it do?

7. Tim

Jennie, that box only comes up on the Edit screen, not the Add screen.
    And I've never changed it, so all mine are at 0.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Jennie

Sorry, what does what do? My query is what information and and from where can be entered into 'Household'? I'm not seeing the obvious - only that it may relate to one's own reference number?

9. Tim

Alexander was asking what the functionality of the household box was for and what it did.

10. Jennie

Lol! This convo could go on for ages without even discussing the original query =)

11. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

See this FAQ

12. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

I used the 'household no.' feature yesterday, as I did have two families show up as one, since they were on the same census page. Just changed the one family to the house number from the census, and left the other at 0, and worked great -- just have to remember to change everyone from that household (as I learned).

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I have had to use this feature 3 times on my ancestors!
    One census page has 3 of my families on the same page.
    I just put 1 and 2 as the household number for the other families.
    That sounds like a very good idea Doreen, I may go and change my entries.
    Thanks for the idea

14. Jennie

Timely advice, thank you, after just having entered two next-door-neighbour families and still failed to see the connection!