1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Cousins from downunder

Discussion in 'Meeting my 'lost cousin'' started by jbuchanangb, May 20, 2013.

1. jbuchanangb

jbuchanangb Member

Before the 1911 census was published, I would trace forward as far as possible using the census up to 1901, as a result of which my published family tree include one Henry Bracegirdle Clare, born in 1900, aged 1 at the time of the census.

Around April 2007 I received a message through ancestry.com which said “my father was Henry Bracegirdle Clare”.

This message originated from Brisbane, Australia, and turned out to be from one of my 3rd cousins, once removed.

He had just started poking around in the family tree to try to find any relatives in England. Over the next few years he was able to contact his (first) cousins in England, and I helped him as we traced the connections between my great great grandmother Margaret Cordwell (1842-1887) and his grandmother Alice Cordwell (1833-1894). They were sisters. I also helped him sort out ancestors on the male side of his family.
    I believe he also managed to contact his brother’s widow in Canada, and thereby also a nephew.

In due course the distant cousin from Brisbane travelled to England to visit his cousins, and as I live only 30 minutes from London by train, he was kind enough, with his wife, to make an excursion to meet me. My father joined us as he was our visitor’s 3rd cousin, although 18 years older.

We enjoyed a pleasant chat over teas and coffees in the café at our local park, before our guests returned to London to commence a tour of Europe.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1