1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Cornwall parish registers on FamilySearch

Discussion in 'Cornwall' started by AtcherleyOrgUK, Jul 6, 2013.

1. AtcherleyOrgUK

AtcherleyOrgUK LostCousins Member

Did you know that many original parish registers from Cornwall have been scanned and put online at FamilySearch? Coverage is not complete. And the scanned registers have not yet been indexed, so using them is a bit like checking the originals on fiche at the record office - you have to have a fair idea of when and in which parish the event you're looking for took place. But if you have already identified the date and place from, say, the Cornwall OPC site, you have a head start.

I have just been able to find the baptism for Mary Ann Robins at Kenwyn in May 1866 (took a wee bit of finding, I knew she had been born in the parish but her birth was registered in the December quarter of 1864). Her marriage was registered in the March quarter of 1894 (Truro district), and as the 1891 census showed her living with her family at nearby Ladock, I searched through the marriage register for that parish. Bingo! There was the marriage on 6 February, a lovely clear image of the register. Had I been considering buying a marriage certificate that would have saved me some money!

To use this collection, start here. Select the parish of interest (if it's there), then select the register which may hold the record you're looking for (again, if it's there - coverage varies). You will be presented with the first image. Notice the text above it saying "Image [1] of xxx" (xxx being the total number of images for the register). If you want to jump a fair way through the register simply replace the 1 with a number which you estimate will get you closer to the time period you want (based on the first and last years of the period covered by the register) and hit your Enter key. Repeat the process until you get closer. Then use the grey arrows on either side of the page number section to 'turn' the pages backwards or forwards one at a time.

Steve

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1