1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Cornish Mining Index

Discussion in 'Cornwall' started by Heilan Lass, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Heilan Lass

Heilan Lass LostCousins Member

The Cornwall on Line tourism website hosts a section on genealogy which has a list of Cornish miners taken from various records. You have the option to sign in as a guest with the password offered and this will bring up an alphabetical list of names along with age, occupation, place of birth, town/district recorded in and the source date (some back to the 16th century). The list can be searched by name, but the option to view all the detail available can only be accessed by registration it appears - so far I haven't worked out how to do this and if anyone does so would they please let me know! However the basic list that is accessible from the guest registration is useful in it's own right.

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  2. Emma

Emma Member

Thanks This looks really useful but unfortunately like you I'm unable to work out how to register to view the further details.:(

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Following the links on the site I got to here which suggests you can login with username as "guest" and password of "cornwall". The login page is here

Once logged in as guest you can search the records. The downside is it seems to be simply someone who has created an index of people in the various Cornwall census records who had an occupation related to mining. Whilst this is potentially useful it doesn't tell you anything new as its easier to search the census at other sources.

4. Heilan Lass

You do get an abbreviated result using the guest/cornwall login, but you can't view the full results as a guest.

I appreciate that at first glance it does look just like an extract from the various census records, but quite a lot of the records do go back to the mid 1500s, are pre-1841, or are between census dates.

5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Ah sorry, I lie in bed typing on laptop, corrected. Well I'm not standing so I can't stand corrected! ;)

6. Heilan Lass

That begs an interesting question - but probably better not pursued!;)

I'm still annoyed that I can't register on that site:mad: There must be a way of doing it. Perhaps that could be the next mystery for the forum "advance guard" to tackle once the Birthday Book is solved!!

7. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

I did manage to find this, which suggests that subscription/registration was not yet available Coming soon.JPG

and also these details Mining.JPG

though no indication of how old these are.

Not sure the Birthday Book will ever be solved, but it is giving me lots of practice at trying to break down brick walls!

8. Heilan Lass

Thank you very much for that Anne - if that was on the website it means I need to change my glasses prescription! The answer is to keep a watch on the site in the hopes it happens soon.