1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ceylon Relatives

Discussion in 'Asia' started by John Dancy, Mar 14, 2021.

1. John Dancy

John Dancy LostCousins Superstar

Frank Cassell, illegitmate son of Henry Cassell, born Henry Cattle (a bigamist), emigrated to Ceylon in the 1880's and married three times. He has led to me having a lot of DNA cousins in Ceylon, Australia, USA and back here in the UK (they returned following independence for Ceylon) however we are having difficulty tracing some of their lines backwards. Some are Dutch, some German, one was an Italian surgeon in 1808 but it is the Asian roots that are proving difficult. Are any Lost Cousins members in Ceylon?

2. I can't answer that but I have Googled 'Sri Lanka Genealogy' and the results show several websites including Ancestry, FMP and FamilySearch as having Sri Lankan/Ceylonese records.
    And, found this comprehensive website

I hope that helps.

3. John Dancy

John Dancy LostCousins Superstar

I hope that helps.[/QUOTE]
    Definitely - You have earned your "Star" - I know of some of the sites, the Dutch Burgers have a set of bulletins that contain genealogies for families with Dutch ties, and there is an ex Ceylon community in Cairns Australia who are probably in this list somewhere. It will keep me amused for hours!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1