1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Census Reference Format

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by chrish, Jan 17, 2015.

1. chrish

chrish New Member

I am using FTM2014 and use Census information as sources FTA is finding the entries but not recognizing the Census References I have used. Please could you advise the format I should use so that FTA can recognise them? Thanks in anticipation

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Chris, I also use FTM2014 but I don't experience your issues. I'm a bit confused about the words you have used "but not recognizing the Census References I have used."
    When I save a census to a person, I don't need to do anything else, the act of saving it creates the census fact and source citation and saves the census ref data.

Are these the steps that you take?

3. GrahamC

GrahamC LostCousins Member

I think Chrish might be using census data but not putting it in a census field in FTM. For many years I have been doing something similar. I don't use the census fields but I do quote the relevant census as a source.

Chrish, if I am right you must use the Census fields in your genealogy program.

4. chrish

chrish New Member

Thank you Tim and Graham, yes I have been using census as a source rather than a fact but since downloading FTA I have experimented with one person on my tree to find what I need to change to get a census report. I have tried to use census fact recording the date as 1881 and in the description field RG11 piece 1716 folio 19 page 31. I have FTA census tab set for 1881 and click show entered on census. The report show the information for the person but the census reference col is empty. How should I record the census reference for it to show please.

5. Tim

When you get some search results that look like this, you can click on the census name and see more detail.

temp05.PNG

At the bottom of the detail page you see a save button. Click on the "Save this record to ..xxxx..." William Greenhow in this example.

temp06.PNG

This then brings up a screen where you can select people etc, and then click the Orange button "Save to your tree".

And that's it. It has now created a Residence fact, and added in the source and citation details. Now it has a Fact and the census ref, FTA will work correctly.

This is the method I use.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. chrish

chrish New Member

Hi Tim
    This is the first time I have ever used a forum so hope I am not doing it wrong. Your reply has 2 boxes that appear to replace images and I cannot seem to open them to follow your example.

7. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Its not you Chrish I can't see them either

8. Tim

Apologies, I think I've fixed it now.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Tim

How have you been getting on Chris?

10. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

To be clear census REFERENCES are not really used at all in FTAnalyzer other than to add info to printouts. Census FACTS on the other hand are critical to FTAnalyzer understanding your ancestors appeared on a census.

IE: it is perfectly possible to have a file with NO census REFERENCES and thousands of census FACTS. FTAnalyzer really doesn't care if you enter census references or not it doesn't use them for anything important anywhere in the program. Census references are really a very very recent addition that have caused more confusion than enlightenment.

So when talking about censuses in the context of FTAnalyzer documentation or tooltips etc it will ALWAYS refer to census FACTS and not census REFERENCES unless it specifically says otherwise.