1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

CEF Soldiers of the First World War: 1914-1918

Discussion in 'More Canadian Resources' started by Thos, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Thos

Thos LostCousins Member

"The digitization of the Canadian Expeditionary Force personnel service files is in progress. The original paper documents can no longer be consulted. However, digital reprography is available for those files that have not yet been prepared for digitization. Newly digitized files are added to the Soldiers of the First World War database, every two weeks until the project's completion.

Please check the database regularly for new additions. If an individual's file has been digitized, a link to the file will appear to the right of his or her attestation papers."

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

It is worth looking at these two free resources as well , Canadian Virtual War Memorial which sometimes has a lot of attached images including CEF attestations and Canadian Great War Project which appears closed but is actually being updated by volunteers. The Great War Project has lots of links on occasion which generally provide accurate information. If you have found a relative/friend/person of interest in the C.E.F. please take the next step and remember them at The Lives of the First World War , also for free unless you elect to use FMP resources as well. I'm happy to help or simply keep me up to date with your progress at that site. Narrow down your search at LOTFWW by choosing C.E.F. as an option. In addition the free automated genealogies 1901 and 1911 census now provide links to the database Thos mentions. Of course the 1921 Canadian census is also free at Ancestry.ca (at the moment) if you have a Canadian IP address.
    All that being said you can see that we are incredibly spoiled in Canada when it comes to WWI remembrance and free resources. ( and now I'll get down from my soapbox :rolleyes: )

3. Thos

Thos LostCousins Member

Britjan, thanks for the addition. I found my wife's grandfather and a friend's father on the Canadian Great War Project confirming the records I had found earlier in the CEF Soldiers of the First World War: 1914-1918 database. - Cheers