1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Carpenter, painter and glazier

Discussion in 'Occupations' started by CarolB08, Oct 1, 2016.

1. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I have an ancestor who died in 1910 from Chronic lead poisoning, Nephritis and what looks like anaemia he was just 23, I have looked on google to see if I can find anything out about the work of a painter and glazier back then to no avail.
    Its odd but in July 1909 when he married he gave his occupation as labourer, but in September 1909 (when his bride of two months died from a cerebral haemorrhage and heart attack at the age of 28 ) he gave his occupation as a carpenter. Yet just 8 months later on his death his occupation was given as painter and glazier, which fits with his cause of death.
    I wonder why he changed occupation so much in such a short time.

2. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hello, possibly he was a carpenter's labourer and then graduated to being a carpenter. He may have become a painter and glazier because that was where the work was at the time. All the occupations relate to the building trade. He was very unfortunate to lose his wife, then die himself, but I expect it was not uncommon then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

The hazards of lead poisoning go back to 2nd century BC . I found a very academic article and then this which is much easier to understand. If you are not familiar with searching articles press "ctl" and "f" simultaneously on your computer keyboard and a window will come up. Type in the word "paint" and you will get a list you can scroll through. The report is from the United States in 1914 but I would think the problems were world wide.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. CarolB08

Thank you Kate this makes perfect sense, his Father was a carpenter to, so he would have had to learn his trade. :)

5. CarolB08

Thank you so much for the second link Britjan it really helps to understand this illness better.

6. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Just came across your post Carol. I have a family of Master Builders in Worcester in my Tree and over time it was amazing how many Sons, Son-in-laws, Uncles and Cousins were all recruited into the business. They were not by any means all 'brickies' or 'chippies' but many, in fact most, were associated tradesmen like painters and decorators, plasterers and general labourers.

All but the most senior and those serving as Journeymen, had to 'muck in' - particularly young Apprentices regardless to what trade they were serving - and turn their hands to other work. In fact the business would not have survived for so long without those employed as general labourers (who could turn their hand to anything) and those skilled in the so called 'finishing trades.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Bob, I have met 'labourers' who were very competent and sometimes as good as or even better at the job than the 'tradesman'.

• Agree Agree x 1