1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Car Registration Plates.

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Stephen49., Nov 15, 2019.

1. Stephen49.

Stephen49. LostCousins Superstar

Of all the many family photos I've got, one in particular would have to be in the top ten of my prized possessions. The photo shows five cars, side by side, in Waterloo Place, London S.W.1, in front of a statue of Sir John Franklin. I think the photo was taken between 1900 and 1906. Despite suffering some WW2 damage, the photo is in very good condition and remarkably sharp. One of the cars is a Napier and the passenger is my grandfather William Patrick Sherlock.
    The registration plate on my grandfather's car is "A-I-N". The registration plates on the four other cars are-
    A-19; A-1013; A-4291; Y-19.

Does anyone know if there are records of car registration plates?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Stephen49

2. If you haven't tried Google I suggest you take a look at these
    history
    another history site

3. Stephen49.

Stephen49. LostCousins Superstar

Thank you very much for your help and advice. The site "another history site" seemed to give a bit more detailed information and from that I think I can safely say my photo is from 1903. Next step is to ask the government if any records of car numbers and their owners exist.

• Agree Agree x 1