1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Cannibal ?

Discussion in 'Occupations' started by Bryman, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I came across the 1851 census entry for 21 year old George Aylward at Chichester who has his occupation listed as "Bookbinder and Eating House Keeper". Perhaps this was to describe that he was the Keeper of an Eating House but I originally interpreted it as someone who made a habit of eating his house keeper. Although he is described as being married, there is no (living) housekeeper listed as such in the census return!

(I am determined to find a justification for an "Undead" classification to use in FTA. :eek:)

• Creative Creative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Brilliant! Made me laugh out loud :D.

3. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Reminds me of the book about the English language called "Eats Shoots & Leaves" by Lynn Truss. Highly recommended - if you haven't already read it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. patzy

patzy LostCousins Member

I really enjoyed that book.

I found a Dorset burial that had a note "coach accident", followed by the words "sat on by the coroner".

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Finding more census references to enter at LC, I came across another amusing occupation in 1911, or so I thought.

One man described himself as a "Mineral Water Manufacturer" and his son as a "Mineral Water Filter". :eek:
    However, when I looked at the hand written census form I found that the transcriber had made a mistake and the description should have been "Mineral Water Filler". Not so amusing after all.

I have asked FMP to change the transcription but I am sure that it will not be top of their list of things to do.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1