1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Canadians and the Victoria Cross in WW1

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Britjan, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

"For Valour : Canadians and the Victoria Cross in the Great War " by Stephen Snelling , Dundurn Press is a brand new paperback I just discovered in a small town bookstore, and I am pleased to see is on order in my local library system. It had more details than I have discovered elsewhere on a man who was born near my country "res" so I am an instant fan.
    There is also a book on the same subject published around 40 years ago already in my library that I have on hold so I'll be interested to see what was discovered in pre-internet days.
    My new local hero is one who has fallen through the cracks at "IWM Lives of the First World War" , and is not yet identified by them as a holder of the V.C. Fortunately I was looking at the Library of Canada blog and saw a very respectable set of details.

2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Just wanted to come back to say that there is a list of 628 known holders of the V.C. from WWI being developed by my online colleague Trevor Penfold at the attached link. By the simple addition of the word VC to the end of each surname they become identifiable and searchable. We just need some people to take on the task for Australia and New Zealand ( hint, hint). Trevor provides the seed data but a more local perspective helps to flesh out each story.

3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Coming back to correct my post re "For Valour ", the 2015 book is edited by Gerald Gliddon , who lives in Norfolk England. Not only does it list our Canadian V.C. recipients in WWI but it does so by year of award and groups them by the area of conflict. It gives a very readable overview of the military aspects of WWI from a Canadian perspective.
    Thanks to Gerald I have just added a comic book image to Piper James Richardson at the Lives site. I use two avatars at the site but I don't suppose they'll fool forum members.