1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Can you find William and his children?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by At home in NZ, Oct 31, 2020.

1. You may do so jorghes, I have the parish register too. 39 Dunk Street was also where the first Elizabeth Maynard died.

As for the Maquard, I think I corrected it in the Ancestry record and as you suggest I have looked for other mis transcriptions and all sorts of different spelling.

I've got that 1841 census in my Shoebox, I remember trying to find out whether it was an establishment for the needy/orphanage but couldn't find anything at the time.

I've never found an 1851 census, even that might give more clues.

Quite frankly, it's all making my head hurt!
    Thanks for your help.

2. I can't fault the GRO for service, I ordered the PDF on 3 Nov and it was despatched on 6 Nov (UK time of course)
    The mother was Elizabeth Saunders of Whitechapel Workhouse, baby Elizabeth was born in the Workhouse on 11 Dec 1857.
    I feel it is a possibility rather than a probability.
    Next step I think is to find the Workhouse admission to see where she was admitted from.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. That drew a blank, after doing a search using name and birth date of 1857 without any result I trawled through the film strips for Admissions and Discharges for Tower Hamlets and could not find any entries for the latter part of 1857.
    I searched census records for Elizabeth Saunders born Whitechapel in 1857 and only got married women.
    I searched death records, there is one 3 year old buried in Hackney but the address she was 'taken from' is not a Maynard residence.

4. A. Muse

A. Muse LostCousins Member

Are you sure that all of the workhouse records you are looking for are on line? Looking at this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_London_workhouses there are several workhouses in the area that you are searching. Was Whitechapel workhouse also known as Tower Hamlets workhouse or is this a modern updated location to bring it into line with current naming?

5. Whitechapel is in the Borough of Tower Hamlets, there were several workhouse there. I use Peter Higginbotham Workhouse website here, there is a link in the page to the Ancestry website.
    I have researched Workhouse records before, many times.