1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Can I now change my password?

Discussion in 'Ask Peter' started by Bazza43, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Bazza43

Bazza43 LostCousins Member

I've forgotten my password another time. I don't really do it that often, but now I have a password I have no hope of remembering unless I write it down (and remember where I did that.) Where/how to reset my password isn't obvious to me at present.
    At leastI might manage to find my mostrecent posts and answers as I now have a question actually related to those.

2. I'd suggest you investigate the use of a password manager, I would be lost without mine.
    To change your LC password, go to this page and third down in the list on the top left.

3. Bazza43

As far as I know, and I've just checked it, the password for the LC Genealogy Forums is distinct from tha for Lost Cousins (which I don't forget.)

Problem with a Password Manager (and such) is if someone manages to hack into that, you lose all your passwords at once!

4. Sorry, you are right. Select your name on the dark blue bar at the top of this page, you will see Password in the drop down.

My password manager requires a password to get into it, which means there is only one password to remember which should be a 'secure' one..

5. Bazza43

Thankks.
    I knew there was something somewhere.
    Barrie

6. My pleasure and I hope you're all sorted now.
    You mentioned being hacked which makes me wonder if you don't do a back up of everything in your computer.
    My partner and I each have our own desktop computers and each get backed up to an external hard drive on a weekly basis.
    Of course, a virus scan is performed first as we don't want corrupt data to be backed up.

Backup for me is essential because of the sheer volume of files associated with my family history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Whether they are the same or not is entirely up to you.
    So your Master Password needs to be very strong.

8. Bazza43

Yes, thank you. I'm all sorted now.
    Thanks again!
    May I ask where in New Zealand you are?

9. Western BOP, not Tauranga though.

10. Bazza43

Ok. My former freereg coordinator (NTH) lives in that area, country west of Rotorua, I forget the name of the place.