1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

BMD Register - search options Marriage Witnesses

Discussion in 'England & Wales BMD registers' started by DennyGirl, Jul 30, 2015.

1. DennyGirl

DennyGirl New Member

Hi I don't think this would help as I have found in many Parish Marriage records before 1837 mostly.Are not relatives to the couple but are Vergers and are just helper at the time of the wedding.In a few cases even the parents of either couple.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

In my experience it varies enormously between parishes, and of course after 1837 some marriages took place in register offices. Most of the witnesses on the marriage certificates in my collection are family or friends.

It's also important to remember that when we look at a marriage register we can see several marriages, so it's usually obvious when one or both of the witnesses is an official. We can also browse the register. It's clearly important that we have some way of knowing which signatories we can exclude from our research, and being able to search by name and parish would be a good solution.