1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Birth Certs- Gro

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Heatherblether, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Heatherblether

Heatherblether LostCousins Member

From the newsletter recently received on birth certificates I thought I would mention that I got my first ever refund from GRO.

The back story is trying to locate the birth of my 2Xgr grandmother. She and her mother spent most of their lives in Scotland. I think I have bought 4 certificates over the years - ever hopeful.
    My email said

We have been unable to process your application, please refer to the paragraph below.

Sometimes we experience difficulties with our records where the quality of the original document is poor and we are unable to reproduce a PDF accordingly. Unfortunately, on this occasion we are unable to issue a PDF reflecting the original document

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Congratulations.

3. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

I'm glad that you got a refund but it must be very frustrating not to be able to see the record referenced in the index?

4. Heatherblether

Heatherblether LostCousins Member

Yes thats it Sue_3.

I have so few clues to go on and no obvious birth record.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You can always order the certificate - they will probably send you a typed copy. Or else you could place an order with the local register office - this will be more expensive, but more likely to be accurate.

6. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I had exactly the same thing happen to me.
    I ordered the certificate and that order was also refunded.
    I eventually obtained a copy from the local register office, as Peter suggests in his post.
    GRO wouldn't tell me what the problem was.
    Good luck

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

They're working from microfilm copies of the registers - if the microfilm is illegible then they cannot produce a PDF. However if you order a certificate they are legally obliged to provide one, so I am amazed they didn't.

8. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

The GRO did not contact me at all to let me know the reason.
    I phoned them up and was told that they could not send a certificate as it was a damaged entry and I would have to order from the local register office.