1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Badly Recorded Locations

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Alexander Bisset, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Agreed Peter although I was thinking more of where the county has been omitted or even the parish omitted and all you have is things like "Mill of Somewhere" with no other address details. That in my eyes is a data error as it is fairly meaningless. It should really be at a minimum "Mill of somewhere, some parish, some county" possibly "Mill of somewhere, some parish, some county, some country".

Worse when its in a town and the address is simply recorded as "High Street" with no town name, no county, no nothing. I've seen this in some test data individuals sent to me so it is data people have in their live trees.

Errors like these can be seen in the Locations tab, if the country name isn't a meaningful country it probably means the program couldn't work out which County you'd entered. This is either because it doesn't exist or there is a variation on a name I'd not coded for. In which case I'd be interested to hear about "unidentified counties" so I can fix it for a future version.

2. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

The location tab as certainly highlighted a lot of inconsistencies in my tree which I am now putting right.
    The more I delve in to FTA the more useful I find it.
    Thanks again Alexander.

3. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I don't know why I didn't spot this before but my brother once worked on a farm at Iken in Suffolk. The address of his home was High Street, Iken so I assumed that it must have been a fair sized community. However, when I visited, I found that High Street was the name of the hamlet and there were only about 4 houses there!

4. Alexander Bisset

Indeed but the correct address that should be recorded is "High Street, Iken, Suffolk, England" my point was that I've seen people in that circumstances record the address as "High Street" with no town, no county and no country. Which is very poor record keeping.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

In one of the villages near where I live the main street is called simply "The Street".

6. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

In a couple of villages around York the main street is simply called "The Village".

7. Alexander Bisset

However they are still "The street, village name, county name, England" and "The Village, village name, Yorkshire, England". Recording them as JUST "the street" or "the village" in your tree with no village/town/county or something to make it clear where it was is clearly meaningless.

8. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

"The Street" in Ashtead is called "The St" on Google Maps!

9. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Peter,is that Claydon?

10. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

Near us is Street Lane, Derbyshire, England - hardly a village, just houses and a pub along a street - or is it a lane?!

11. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Cart before the horse?

Varden Town,Birtles Lane,Over Alderley,Cheshire,England is a row of 3/4 terraced houses