1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ayrshire families very faithful to Scottish naming pattern

Discussion in 'Ayrshire' started by Valzie, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Valzie

Valzie LostCousins Member

The traditional Scottish naming pattern (first son named after paternal grandfather, second son after maternal grandfather, third son after father; first daughter named after maternal grandmother, second daughter after paternal grandmother, third daughter after mother) was strictly adhered to by most of the Ayrshire families in my tree, until about 1900. This naming pattern has been a great help to me in finding lost parents and grandparents: when other relatives have suggested a George from the next village, I've hesitated, knowing that the missing man was almost certainly a James... and, usually, I've found I was right to trust the naming pattern.
    I was, therefore, nonplussed when I found a family in which the maternal grandfather took precedence, giving his name to the first son: apparently this happened occasionally when the maternal family had more money or a better social position.

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Or illegitimacy!!! Ayrshire families tended to follow the mothers fathers pattern with illegitimacy. I'd agree they tend to be extremely strong pattern followers.

3. Valzie

Valzie LostCousins Member

Some of the Ayrshire illegitimate births in my tree bear out what you say. But illegitimate sons were sometimes named for the putative father - perhaps when there was some hope of getting the man to church eventually?