1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Australian War Memorial - nightly name projections and the Last post ceremony

Discussion in 'Australia - More resources' started by Britjan, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

https://www.awm.gov.au/1914-1918/roll-honour-name-projections/
    Each night names from the roll of honour are projected on to the facade of the Hall of memory at AWM. It's possible to check when a particular name will be projected.
    https://www.awm.gov.au/events/last-post-ceremony/ It was worth posting this in full so you can tell I was impressed......
    "At the end of each day, commencing at 4.55 pm AEST, the Memorial farewells visitors with its moving Last Post Ceremony. The ceremony begins with the singing of the Australian National Anthem, followed by the poignant strains of a Lament, played by a piper. Visitors are invited to lay wreaths and floral tributes beside the Pool of Reflection. The Roll of Honour in the Cloisters lists the names of more than 102,000 Australians who have given their lives in war and other operations over more than a century. At each ceremony the story behind one of these names will be told. The Ode is then recited, and the ceremony ends with the sounding of the Last Post.
    On the first and third Wednesday of each month the Last Post Ceremony includes the presence of Australia's Federation Guard. At 4.00 pm a catafalque party mounts a vigil at the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier in the Hall of Memory. There is a change of guard at 4.30 pm, and the entire catafalque party then participates in the Last Post Ceremony.
    Live stream via webcam
    To enable anyone anywhere in Australia or overseas to view the Last Post ceremony, it is broadcast live daily via webcam on the Memorial’s website from 4.55 pm AEST. The ceremony is a memorable occasion, engaging visitors and offering them the opportunity to remember those Australians who have lost their lives in war and to reflect on their service and sacrifice.
    Proudly supported by the RSL & Services Clubs Association, RSL Victoria and RSL Queensland. "
    What simple and brilliant ideas, well done Australia .

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I was so moved by a random search for a young man who will be remembered this month when I looked up his free records that I wanted to share them with you. The digital pages can be displayed together so that you can scroll through them.
    I was simply drawn to search for information because his name Myles Dolphin Killalea had such a lovely ring to it. Naturally, although he's outside my particular realm of interest, I felt obliged to remember him and if you visit my remembrance you will see how I have avoided anything which cannot be accessed for free through some research. I am going to leave it to anybody interested to find his full story and access subscription records if you like and add to the story.
    On 11th September 1915 his name will be projected on the Hall of memory at 9.07 p.m.
    On 14th November 1915 his story will be told during the Last Post ceremony and live streamed. His brother Carrington will be remembered the next day.
    ps I am using an avatar at the IWM site so don't expect to find Britjan!

3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I don't want to start a new thread so just a note that Lives of the First World War volunteers have sorted out a number of WWI lives for ANZAC's that were difficult to trace due to some errors in surnames etc. So if you found a name in the honour roll project but not at Lives it is worth taking another look.