1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Arrival of Internet resources

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by teachersue, Apr 13, 2015.

1. teachersue

teachersue LostCousins Member

I had been interested in my family history for a long time, but my father couldn't remember anything in detail - and my mother didn't seem interested in her own history very much. Then, shortly after my mother died I discovered Family Search.org and, out of interest, typed in my paternal grandfather's name. Lo and behold! - up came his baptismal record. Showing this to my father started a flood of memories and he was able to guide me further back in time. We followed his line back for 7 generations, all living in the (then) small village. Tracing my maternal side was much more difficult - from discovering that her father was illigitmate, to finding out that the Scottish heritage I had always believed in was Irish through and through.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Welcome to the forum teachersue.
    I was told we were quarter Scottish and quarter Irish.
    I can find the Irish link but no Scottish up to now!
    This is what keeps us going.