1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Army records

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Rhian, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

In the last newsletter Peter mentioned ordering records from the MoD, at £30 a time. This always seemed an excessive cost to me but I eventually caved in and ordered my fathers record.

To anyone considering getting the military records of an ancestor I would suggest it might be the best data investment you could make this year. I got 30 A4 pages of records and 8 A3 pages which confirmed many facts and added lots more, including how he met my mother. Even then there were 18 months missing as he was seconded to a US group and these records were not kept by the British Army.

Following family discussions last month I intend to get the records of one of my grandfathers and I am hoping a cousin will get his fathers RAF records.

2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I also ordered my father's military record from the MoD - quite a while ago - but, unlike Rhian, got only skeleton information - in two A4 pages. At the time I was happy enough though I did wonder why there was so little information for some years. I thought that perhaps it was secret. Several years later, those years were filled in for me by the Essex Regiment Archive in Chelmsford, who also told me a whole lot more and gave me an altogether more detailed picture of my father's army career (1914-1948). I wonder if the MoD have improved their service or whether there is a time limit on information they're prepared to divulge.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Rhian, how long did it take for your father's records to arrive? At one time it was taking over a year - I only waited about 6 months for my father's file, but we applied for them when he was still alive and such applications are (sensibly) prioritised.

4. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

It only took a few weeks, and the biggest delay was in arranging payment, I needed to send a UK cheque or transfer funds from a UK bank neither of which was possible. The very helpful guy dealing with the matter suggested I could send him cash and he would make the payment for me, which worked well.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1