1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry's new ethnicity estimates

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by PhilGee, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Call me cynical but having just read through this entire discussion, not one sentence convinces me that DNA is of any real use.

I agree with canadianbeth's pinch of salt.

Although Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd is a work of fiction, it is based on fact and there is a lot in it about how the various nations came together to establish Britain. I am currently reading it, it's is extremely well written.

This is very true, especially with the Irish. Many of my Irish ancestors emigrated to USA and married people who also emigrated from the same 'townland' (village).

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

This discussion is about ethnicity estimates which I have frequently described as being "for amusement only". They may be getting better, but how are they going to help your research? I wouldn't expect anyone who reads my newsletters to buy a DNA test just for the ethnicity estimates.

The real value of DNA tests is in finding genetic cousins who are on the other side of your 'brick walls'. How else are you going to knock down a 'brick wall' when the historical records don't exist?

Answers on a postcard please.....

3. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Short and sweet?

DNA helps to confirm suppositions (i.e. I think I've found the right 4x great grandparent, but I'm not completely sure... well, here's a DNA relative who links to you through that same 4xgreat grandparent); and helps to move a brick wall back a generation or two (i.e. my 3x great grandmother never appears in any "official" documents with her family, born in 1825 and currently missing from the 1841 census; but I have these DNA relatives who link with possible sister...)

**and yes, both those scenarios have occurred for me, found using research, confirmed using DNA.

- Currently also have a couple of "unknown" groups of DNA matches that I'm hoping might match up to the elusive father of my illegitimate great-great grandfather...