1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry's Family view

Discussion in 'Online family trees' started by PhilGee, Nov 19, 2021.

1. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Just noticed the "arrow boxes" and other annotations on the family view (Beta). First thoughts are it doesn't add much, though the ability to "hide siblings" could be useful.

Attached Files:

2. My family view doesn't have those annotations etc How do I find the Beta version?

3. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I would love to know that too.

4. PhilGee

It just appeared for me - possibly a random selection of users.

I have already reported a problem: it just happened that I moved to a person in the tree that caused a few aunts/uncles to be placed on top of each other. Changing the focus to a sibling retained the problem but changing generation cleared it. It was repeatable and within a pedigree collapse area.

Edit: I checked another pedigree collapse area and the fault did not appear! However, the error occurred where direct ancestors formed the collapse but not where direct ancestors were outside the collapse.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  5. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

It hasn't appeared for me, but looking at your screenshot, I'm not bothered if it never does!

6. Me neither and I HOPE it never does. It appears to be yet another dumbing down enhancement. Telling me how somebody is related when it's all in plain sight - give me strength!

7. PhilGee

Just an update: I no longer get the "BETA" tree display :eek:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. PhilGee

Just noticed a couple of "new" (to me) symbols in Ancestry's family view: pic1.png pic2.png The first suggests a DNA match who has a private tree, the second lists multiple spouses with "on/off" switching.

9. I am not likely to get a DNA match suggestion as I haven't done my DNA.
    So far I am only getting the new look 'shaky leaf' and when I click on it, it shows the number of hints for the person.
    The new look 'shaky leaf' looks exactly the same as what you are describing as multiple spouses. Makes me wonder, if it's a multi purpose symbol.

10. PhilGee

Ah, typically I go for brevity over clarity :( The second symbol was the "triple line" on the left corner of the second image!

I also omitted (it was subconsciously ignored) the fact that I am back on a BETA version - with show/hide descendants options.

11. PhilGee

Just checked the "overlay" problem originally mentioned (in my second post) and that has been cleared - and I noticed another "thrulines" symbol pic3.png , but its purpose seems to be to identify all direct ancestors in the Thrulines range - but none of any links. It may useful for many, but I already have my direct ancestors highlighted with a "profile" image, so it has no benefit for me.

Phil

12. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

This is what it says in Ancestry: And these only show on the tree that you have connected to your DNA.
    upload_2022-1-20_15-19-45.png

13. PhilGee

Thanks for Ancestry's descriptions, Tim. I was too lazy to look for them!

Number 1 is as I thought - every DNA match is related to you through nearest common ancestors (NCAs). It therefore follows that all your direct ancestors both above and below NCAs are also related to the match. Looking at the Pedigree view of my tree, every direct ancestor up to 4th great... has the symbol. I have 3 matches that, between them, share 50% of my direct ancestors from 2GT level.

Number 2 - I will have to hunt for these as I believe all known matches that would have this symbol have already got symbol Number 3 (and my corresponding "DNA Match" profile image).

14. OH, didn't even notice the triple line, thanks for the explanation.
    As for the Beta version, aren't you the lucky one:eek: