1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

AncestryDNA’s new BETA

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by jorghes, Feb 28, 2019.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Example of triangle:

upload_2019-5-22_13-4-57.png

2. peter

Example of hearts:
    upload_2019-5-22_13-7-18.png

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Is this your tree Peter? If no, then the owner may have added these symbols into the Suffix field? The hearts to maybe denote the ancestrial line?

4. peter

It's not my tree, it's the public tree of a distant relative. How would the tree owner have added those symbols - I can't see any easy way of adding them to my own tree? I was hoping it was a new Ancestry feature in beta test

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  5. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

As Tim said, it looks like the tree owner has added the symbol in the Suffix field of each direct ancestor. I hadn't seen this effect before, but I just tried it for one of my ancestors and it showed up in my tree in the way you have illustrated. It could be any symbol, not necessarily a heart or triangle. Not sure how you access symbols on a PC but they are directly available from the Character Viewer on my Mac, so easy to put into the suffix field (after last name) of the 'quick edit' window for any individual.

There may be another way of getting Ancestry to mark selected ancestors this way, other than by manually editing the Suffix field, but I can't see it at the moment. (the 'direct ancestor' tag in MyTreeTags doesn't seem to produce a symbol in tree views).

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  6. Tim

In Quick Edit, there is a suffix field. When you type ALT+3 you get a heart symbol. Make sure you have numer lock on and only use the numeric keypad.
    upload_2019-5-22_15-47-29.png

7. peter

No numeric keypad on my laptop..... but what this experience indicates is that there's an opportunity for Ancestry to make trees much more useful by indicating which relatives are in the direct line of the home person.

8. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I just checked a couple of trees to which I have access and the owners there have not done this. It sounds interesting if that is what the symbols mean.

9. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

So that's how it's done in Windows, assuming you have a numeric keypad (doesn't apply to Mac where you can select any symbol directly). But I agree with Peter, it would be good if Ancestry could provide a way of automatically indicating direct ancestors. I notice some people put their direct ancestors in capital letters to make them stand out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tim

That feature is in FTM, but as you say not Ancestry. Personally I have used Pictures with the names of the family line in colour to denote my 4 grandparent lines. All my ancestors are coded this way

upload_2019-5-22_20-13-8.png

11. Tim

Are you sure Peter? Laptop Keyboard

12. peter

Yes, I'm sure - I don't even have a NumLock key.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  13. peter

The Suffix field is intended to be used for descriptions such as Jr, III etc. But those are used so infrequently in Britain that repurposing the field seems like a good idea - provided it doesn't confuse the Ancestry system. There are plenty of symbols on a normal keyboard that could be used, eg the caret (^).

Marking relatives who emigrated would be another good use of the suffix field.

14. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes I have always used CAPS to pick out direct ancestors and find this quite sufficient. However, Tribal Pages (TP) uses a series of 6 colour tags to identify direct & bloodline relationships to me as the Home Person, or whoever I nominate as Home Person in my other Trees. Different colours to pick out ancestors and descendants. This can be very useful, including the absence of any colour where no such relationship exists.

15. peter

The important thing is for there to be consistency - if everyone has a different system then it isn't going to help other users, and could be counter-productive.

For example, I still don't know what the triangles meant in the original example - they're certainly not the direct ancestors of the home person.

16. Tim

I'm surprised. Not even when you have to press the Blue Fn key first?

17. peter

There is no key with Num Lock printed on it, and there are no keys which obviously double as a numeric keypad - not that I've needed them before.

18. Bob Spiers

Sorry, I am not concerned what others do in Ancestry, I just use CAPS for my direct ancestors (as do many others for that matter), which satisfies my requirements. What others do is down to them and if we wait for Ancestry to cotton on to colour coding (like Tribal Pages) or symbolic hearts and triangles, then we are in for a long wait.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  19. Bob Spiers

I have not long had a session sorting out my daughter's laptop which also had no keypad, Num Lock, or the 'makeshift' DIY keypad mentioned by Tim (an abomination at best). Having to enter numeric characters a fair number of times I asked her why she chose a model without a separate keypad? Her answer "I don't need one there are numbers along the top...besides those with key pads were too big and bulky". I know when I am beaten so didn't pursue the matter further.

20. peter

That's the sort of public-spirited response we've come to expect from you, Bob!
    As someone who grew up with typewriters I'm perfectly happy using the numbers across the top - a numeric keypad would be very low on my list of priorities, especially since I'd have to put the mouse down in order to use it. The one laptop I have with a numeric keypad weights as much as the other three combined.