1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry Tree

Discussion in 'Online family trees' started by Pauline, May 26, 2017.

1. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I agree with Jorghes, the only time I have noticed a warning is when manually entering data via the "adding " tool. Something I realised recently is that it is possible to have multiple entries for one person on the tree, by accepting Ancestry hints. Using the "view tree overview" button and clicking on "people" a list of all the people on your tree is shown and then it is easy to see where duplicate entries exist.

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Many thanks for all the input. It is only since I started building my own tree at Ancestry that I've become aware of all the possible pitfalls, and how easy it is to add totally ludicrous data. There appear to be folk out there who genuinely believe that if Ancestry offers up a hint, either from historical records or other trees, it must be right - and while of course, some hints are correctly applicable to the person entered, some definitely aren't.

When contacting tree owners who have incorrectly added a chunk of my ancestry to their tree, even when the connection is impossible, and however diplomatically I try to phrase my comments, more often than not I have been met with a total reluctance to do anything about it. I now try, wherever possible, to include alternative suggestions, perhaps a more likely baptism or whatever, in the hope of softening the blow, and sometimes that does the trick.

3. DavidL

DavidL LostCousins Member

Just joined this debate because I took Peter's advice and used the special prices for membership and DNA testing. I was already registered with Ancestry and found the non-member information useful in combination with the occasional low-cost month at FMP and constant free access to Family Search and FreeBMD. Over the last decade or so this has enabled me to build a tree with almost 7,000 entries. I'm learning very little as a full member but I am hoping my DNA results open new connections. But I see I must create an Ancestry tree to do this. After working through more than 1,000 uploads to Lost Cousins, I have little enthusiasm for laboriously filling in thousands of Ancestry boxes. If there is a facility to upload a GED as I did with FMP and Genes Reunited, I can't find it.

Sorry. Just found the relevant checkbox to upload a GEDcom. Now need to clean it up, as it's been accumulating all sorts of comments and dodgy info after more than 10 years in the making.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

5. DavidL

DavidL LostCousins Member

Had a long debate with the author last year. I can't get it to work on my version of Win7 for some reason. I now have a Win10 laptop to break in. When that's ready, I'll try again.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a plan!

7. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

David, I built a new tree on Ancestry ahead of my DNA results. I entered direct ancestors, which didn't take too long.

8. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I was referring to my tree, not awaiting DNA results ! :)

9. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I took advantage of Peter's alert to renew and upgrade my Ancestry membership last month. I've taken short term bargain subs before and generally been content to use my guest status to check in on a family(private) tree maintained by a distant cousin. I've been using the upgraded access primarily in support of a volunteer project I'm involved with to remember all the nurses who were members of the Canadian Expeditionary Forces in WWI.
    I've found that about 50% of what I find in Ancestry records and on line trees is useful in tracing what happened to each nurse after WWI. That's a far better score than my personal experience with Ancestry and particularly useful to adding some substance to their war time experiences.
    That's not to say that Ancestry doesn't take me down a number of rabbit holes such as the discovery of a register of POW helpers including a lot of civilian women in France and Belgium and a list of Belgian agents from the same period. Regretfully I've put those two sources to one side!!

I do wonder how many "lost cousins" I would find for the nurses if there were more recent Canadian censuses to link. A great many of them show up for the first time on the 1901, or 1911 Canadian census and since I'm interested in their post WWI history I very often check the 1921 Canadian census.