1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry Tree-sync & FTM 2017

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by PhilGee, Mar 25, 2017.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Tim, as I understand it there is only one feature that doesn't always work, and even that works for 19 out 20 people.

In all my years as a software publisher/developer there can have been very few occasions on which the software I sold was completely bug-free. Any software publisher that claims otherwise is deluding themselves as well as their customers.

So, whilst I can understand how annoying it was that MacKiev missed the release date, I can assure you that this is a lot tougher for them and their development team than it could possibly be for any of the users. The fact that they have been so open about the problems is commendable, and frustrating though it might be for users, it's in their interests to support MacKiev through this difficult period.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I understand that very few software programs are bug free. But that is not what we're talking about here.

Syncing is the core piece that they're selling. I would go so far as to say that it could be the feature that makes people decide on FTM as opposed to going with another software program. It has to work. 100%, every time for everybody. And I hope that all the bugs raised by the testers are being reviewed, because believe me, I want and need this to work 100%.

I was very lucky, I happened to be still looking at a family I had updated and then synced. It was 100% successful it reported......

If I hadn't of had them in the display at the time of the sync then I would never have known that anything wasn't as it should have been. To your point, working 19 out of 20 times would be accecptable to me (a bit annoying) but only if you knew that it was 100% for the 19 times.

And yes, it is refreshing that Mackiev is being quite open, but they launched at least a month too early. I would have been happy to beta test the software a month ago, rather than after they discovered issues.

3. peter

With the benefit of hindsight it's obvious that MacKiev should have involved users at an earlier stage; I am sure they will learn from their experience.

4. FredC

FredC LostCousins Member

Has anyone received the non-expiring version of FTM2017 yet. I must be on my 5th 48 hour test drive edition, but the promised non-expiring version never materialises.

5. Tim

No, nothing yet...

6. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

I am on built 1307 which I think may be

7. Tim

Same here, you still have to refresh it.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Tim

2 months :(

9. FredC

FredC LostCousins Member

Latest sad news from MacKiev, they must be about ready to throw the towel in.

SYNC ALERT - JUNE 6
    We have received an elevated number of reports of syncing issues in the past 24 hours for beta test drivers (build 207). Please either hold off syncing until we clear this alert or check carefully the number of changes in the sync change window to make sure you have made all of those before proceeding with syncing. As always make sure you have backups. This alert does not apply to beta test builds (300-series).

10. Tim

Build 207? I'm on build 319, and I was just thinking they had cracked it!

11. Tim

Fred, was this an email they sent to you? The website doesn't mention this?

12. FredC

FredC LostCousins Member

This was the message that I received when I attempted to commence a FTM sync. I must admit I got cold feet and cancelled.

13. Tim

Ahh, I see it now I tried to Sync.

What Beta test do you have Fred?

14. FredC

FredC LostCousins Member

Version 2017 (23.0.1.1207) Build 1207.

15. I have been 'testing' FTM 2017 and cannot believe the unprofessional approach taken by McKiev.
    Having been a tester in a past life I was expecting to receive a list of known issues and feedback on the issues I was raising. None of that happened.
    I am amazed that Ancestry did not build a test system and we are testing live data.

Today, I saw on the Ancestry blog that Roots Magic is now 'syncing' with Ancestry and their new version is available to download.
    They have beaten McKiev to it and I'm laughing up my sleeve.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tim

It looks like the day has finally arrived. They are going to rollout FTM2017 to one and all from tonight.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. From their update:
    The likely start is late on Saturday, July 15th, beginning with test drivers. We will roll out as quickly as the system allows. Everyone will be notified by email when it's their turn to download.

That's Utah time and could take up to three days.

In the meantime my test drive version has expired due to an error on their part. I can re-load it but it also means re-loading a plug-in I have.
    There was a bug in FTM test version that prevented the plug-in from loading and of course they haven't advised us of any fixes that have been made and there is no guarantee that bug has been fixed!

18. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I have been following the FTM 2017 saga and have been a tester and, like everyone else, waiting for the (so called) final version, which I now have. I am not sure why I stayed the course as FTM had only one use (for me at least) and that was it's ability to Sync with Ancestry. Now that seems to be working (fingers crossed) I was surprised to find a hidden feature about ATM which has elevated it in my estimation, not in the first instance as a data base (although of course it is) but in its PLACES feature.

What a gem and those who use ATM will of course know all about it, but to me a hidden revelation. It is a built in map feature similar (if not the same) as Google maps; but contained within the program. So, so useful especially when researching an area not native to ones birth area. You can type in a place name (and it works world wide) found when researching (like I did for Apethorpe in Northamptonshire which I had never heard of) and lo and behold it appeared with all neighbouring towns, hamlets and villages displayed. It the name spelling is wrong (as often happens) it has an auto detect feature which suggests alternative spellings.

You can also click on an ancestor by name and select the 'Places' tab to find a map of his/her birth area. I am so taken with discovering this attribute of FTM that I now have it open at the 'Places' tab on a separate computer for interrogation when stuck on a place name. (It goes without saying the computer needs to have internet access).

19. peter

Is everyone happy with the 'final' version?

20. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Not particularly at the moment, especially since I downloaded the final version... and then was told to "get a new Beta".