1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry server errors

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by peter, Sep 20, 2021.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I'm getting constant errors at Ancestry, eg 502, 503, 504

Anyone else having the same problems?

2. I had one yesterday, but can't recall which of the 500 series it was.

I often get 'this page can't be reached right now' or similar words followed by asking me to either refresh or try again.
    Ancestry appears to be doing a lot of 'maintenance' lately which I think is their terminology for making changes. The site is looking more and more like the FamilySearch new site and what I see as change for changing sake is somewhat annoying as it is taking me longer to accomplish some tasks.

3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I was getting 504 errors yesterday evening when I tried to look at my DNA matches, but it’s OK this morning

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

I wasn't getting 504 or similar errors yesterday, but the site was extremely slow and I kept getting the message about the 'back end' being overtaxed (sorry, I can't recall the exact wording). It was a pain ...

5. peter

I've had no problems today, but last night's were like nothing I'd experienced before.

6. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Now I'm getting a 520 error just trying to access the site, let alone search for anything?

A check on 'isitdown' shows that the UK site is 'up'.

... and other checks say same, site is 'up', however it is not responding to me. I cleared my cache very recently (this pm) so ??

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  7. I'm using Ancestry right now, it's very slow and I was looking at the profile of somebody who contacted me and got a message to say they couldn't display all the details and to either do a refresh or come back later. I closed it down as I'd seen as much as I needed to. I have two other tabs open and they seem to be OK.
    I'm closing down now, it's lunchtime.

8. Just over 4 hours later and my Ancestry is NOT behaving itself. I am getting 403 Forbidden messages when I click on a record in order to see the details.
    It is intermittent but frequent and when I do get it I have to leave that record alone for a while until it comes right.

9. Andrew Lloyd

Andrew Lloyd LostCousins Star

I am getting 520 error also, but I find switching to Ancetry.com from Ancestry.co.uk gets me round the problem. Not a long term solution of course but may help.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. I'm waiting on the Live Chat line, will get back with their answer WHEN I get it!

11. Well that wasn't much help, didn't expect it to be. Parts of the transcript:
    Ancestry: We are getting reports from our members getting error messages on our site. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. We appreciate that you reached out to us. I'll be more than happy to help you.

Ancestry: Unfortunately, UK site isn't compatible with New Zealand users.
    Me: Rubbish, it's been compatible for the last 13 years.

Ancestry: We are currently doing an upgrade and are doing our best to fix all the bugs in out website.
    Me: How about you upgrade a test version and see if it works before you dump a faulty version on the users?

Also got asked if I'd cleared my cache and cookies, bog standard 'solution'.

Ancestry: I have created a report on your behalf. This will be sent to our internal team to further look into this. We don't have a timeframe. We will certainly notify you if there's any updates.

I am not holding my breath and this is my second unsuccessful attempt at getting actual answers from customer service people today.

BTW, I waited exactly 30 minutes as number 1 in the queue, the whole exercise took almost an hour and NO REAL REASON PROVIDED.

12. I think I see what's happened, there is now some thing called cloudflare that looks like it might be hosting Ancestry and it's causing problems. I've got this:
    upload_2021-9-23_17-51-39.png

EDIT:
    It might explain why I was also told to use the au ancestry site. But I did point out that other people in other countries are experiencing errors.

13. peter

I suspect's it's not just updates, but millions of Ancestry users checking their new matches and new ethnicity estimates.

When a website is very busy there's definitely an advantage in using the nearest servers, so the advice you were given was right in that respect.

14. Maybe so but it makes my home page Australia orientated which is not what I need.

15. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I'm feeling a little left out as I have had no access problems with Ancestry all week. Mind you my Bank 400 (Bad request) login niggle more than makes up for this. I don't suppose it will be of the slightest use as a work around, but because I dislike waiting on any fix that will eventually arrive, next hour, next day, I simply open a new tab and Google the name of my Bank and click on the page. The website opens and -not too unsurprisingly - recognises my login details and password, but whereas I would expect it to open a 'Welcome (username) this is now blank and requires me to enter it again. Thereafter everything works OK until I sign out and have to go through the same process next time around. (I have notified the Bank of course and their IT are working on same).

To apply the work out to Ancestry, try Googling (Ancestry.uk/au whatever) and open as a first time user (good idea to keep or pin the tab for future use). When open it should (repeat should) open normally and again should recognise your login details. A little time consuming of course but until Ancestry (or the slowdown caused by website activity) changes things, at least you can get on with your knitting.:rolleyes:
    (Oh and clearing your cache and trying another Browser are also good ideas).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  16. peter

I rarely visit the home page - I have the pages I use most frequently open in different tabs. But you could always set up the Quick Links on the home page.

Tip: your Quick Links don't have to be to pages at Ancestry

17. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Thanks, I haven't had the problem today, but then again I've been out most of the day so haven't been online much. If I get the same problem again I'll try that.

18. I've got plenty of those. I've made full use of them.
    The 'Australianisation' is under the heading of 'What's happening at Ancestry' where there are links to 'new records'.
    The record collections at the right are AU specific, in the UK site they are UK specific and provide quick links to UK census records.
    I've got my home page customised too. I really cannot be bothered customising another site when what I've got is long standing, 13 years of it!

19. peter

That's easily solved - click See all new records and select United Kingdom from the drop-down.