1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Some new members aren't following the advice on posting links - please read it!
  3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. Both the main LostCousins site and this forum have been upgraded to that you can log-in securely. If you are not automatically taken to the secure site simply add https:// at the beginning of the URL.
  5. Guest - have you tested your DNA with Ancestry? Do you have English or Welsh ancestors, and do you know which counties most of them came from? If so please take part in my project by completing the NEW spreadsheet and uploading the results
  6. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join please register NOW!

Ancestry Search issues

Discussion in 'Ancestry problems' started by Pauline, Nov 27, 2018.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Member

My connection seems to continually switch between the ".com.au" site and the ".com" site. I notice when "Catalogue" becomes "Catalog" and the lovely little checkbox limiting card catalogue results to Australia vanishes - it doesn't log me out anymore, although every so often I get a "sign in to see this record" page - to which I press the back button and try again and usually it works the second time. It doesn't seem to cause any problems for me, probably because I have just as many relatives in the UK and USA as I do in Australia, and 90% of the time I'm delving into a different country's records anyway. (last month it was the Netherlands...)

I have no idea why it happens.

2. DavidL

DavidL LostCousins Member

One quirk annoying me is that my regular list of "hints" comes up in a variety of languages. This week it is Spanish. Last week it was one of the Scandi languages. Not a big problem, as the information remains fairly obvious. I can't complain, anyway, as I let my membership lapse last week.

3. Susan

Susan LostCousins Member

I have been taking notice of when I get the .com site, or told I need to log in, and it's always after editing a search. If I do a new search, I don't have a problem.

But an older problem has returned. At random times when working on a profile, I get a page with a picture of a man panning for gold and the message "We're sorry. The page you tried to access is no longer available". It just happened after adding a 1939 register entry to a profile. This is not a serious problem as all I need to do is click on Home, then Last Viewed and I'm back to the profile, but it is time consuming.

I have also noticed that the .co.uk site develops temporary quirks at around 9.45 pm UK time. Two days ago I had 'this page is temporarily unavailable' for all person Facts for about 10 minutes, though Lifestory, Hints and Gallery were unaffected. Yesterday evening I could not 'ignore' any historic insights for 15 minutes.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I would guess that the problems we're experiencing are related to peaks in demand, and Ancestry's attempt to balance the load across their servers rounds the world. I remember similar problems at FamilySearch over a decade ago, and Findmypast has also had problems over the years.

5. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Star

Having tried this for a while, I find keeping myself logged in at both sites doesn't stop the redirection to the .com site but it does prevent the continual requests to sign in. Often I do not notice that I am on the wrong site until I click to go to the Ancestry homepage, and find it's not my personalised homepage.

So I guess it's an improvement of sorts.