1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry problems?

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Norman, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

Over the last few days my wife and I have been experiencing problems on Ancestry. Today neither ancestry.co.uk or ancestry.com are listing our respective trees. The message sometimes states they are undergoing routine maintenance and to come back soon.

As it's now business hours in the USA I can't believe they would undergoing routine maintenance at this time. Between us we have 4 trees on ancestry and when we click on the "Family Trees" tab the only option are to start a new tree or to upload a tree. We are logged on by the way.

Anyone else having similar problems?

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

No problem with my tree. Admittedly it only has one person in it, but he displays perfectly.

3. Norman

I looked up the ancestry community announcements and they admitted to a problem on 30 July but it was fixed the same day. I have telephoned them and their recorded message says they are having some problems but didn't elaborate. I didn't hang on to speak to an agent.

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I have the same issue. All my trees and the trees I've been invited to have gone.

I can still get to my tree, but not via the family trees tab.

They seemed to have fixed the other issue they had, so maybe they can back out the changes they've done or fix whatever they've been messing with.

5. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I "lost" my guest registration for a while today, I wonder if this is a backlash of their "free" 1911 census offer?

6. Tim

Well I've just managed to sync my trees. And the website seems to be behaving.

Fingers crossed then...

7. Norman

Yes, here too.

8. Tim

Spoke too soon.

Try to attach someone to my tree and my tree's not there as an option. Go search in 1841 censuses and it shows me London Electoral registers.

9. Norman

Just tried that. Working OK for me. It seems they have some very inconsistent problems. Hope they get it sorted soon.

10. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

They have had some issues updating some changes for some future project that will become obvious in the fullness of time. I beta not tell you any more of they might get a bit testy. ;)

• Creative Creative x 1
  11. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

My two private trees are ok, no public trees. Thanks for the heads up.

12. Tim

Arggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We’re sorry, this page is temporarily unavailable.

You can try reloading this page or come back later.

13. peter

All seems to working fine now.

14. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

I haven't had a problem. A few days ago there was a message at the top of my Ancestry page saying there were problems with the trees but it didn't seem to affect me.

15. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

16. Tim

Perhaps I've just worn it out? :(

17. peter

It includes the words "Re-architecting our base development framework" - perhaps they should talk English?

18. Norman

That's asking a bit much of any American. ;)

19. Tim

Ok, so that's weird. I was looking at the load report into FTAnalyzer and wondering why I had so many people where the program was unable to determine a relationship to me, 198 unknowns.

So I went to the Individuals tab and sorted by the Relation column and this puts all the unknowns at the bottom. Some of them are valid relations but there was a name I didn't recognise. So I looked at it, Elizabeth Calcott b1881.

A single person, with no other relations and no connection to anyone in my tree.

Now she wasn't there when I uploaded the file to Ancestry, so either I've added her myself (don't know how as its not a name I recognise) or Ancestry has very kindly added it for me.

I haven't checked all the other unknowns yet so I'm not sure how big an issue this is.

Is anyone missing an Elizabeth Calcott? I have one to spare!

Does anyone else have any extra people they don't remember adding? You can use FTAnalyzer to check.

20. Tim

Hmmmm, Ancestry seems to be having issues again. I've had one screen of Temporary unavailable, and now on the home screen, it appears I don't have any trees. :mad: