1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry Parish Records - There is more than they tell you

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by John Dancy, Dec 17, 2020.

1. John Dancy

John Dancy LostCousins Superstar

It seems quite simple, add a new person to your tree, press the search key (ignore the 'Hints' for a bit) and see what comes up.

Tried it for Sydney Arrow Smith - Discover that he had got married in Liverpool in the 1930's, however the record Ancestry is offering is the one for the Banns, not the marriages.

Long way around: Find the Liverpool marriages through the Card Catalogue and go to the relevant parish.

Toxteth St James offers the following:

1914-1920
    1920 - 1921
    1923-1935

So I open the 1923 - 1935 and it is the one the search found. All pages are banns of marriage.
    I decide to look at the 1920-1921, even though it does not cover the 1930's, and find that it has pages 1 -218.
    Rather a lot of marriages for two years. But no, it is actually the proper marriage records for all marriages at Toxteth St James between Oct 10th 1920 and 23rd Jan 1933 - it is just that beyond 1921 they are not indexed.
    And, in the right place, is Sydney and his wife, and information I was looking for

it always pays to be thorough.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1