1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry Hints – enhancement or not?

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by At home in NZ, Jan 14, 2021.

1. When a Hint is displayed in the Hints tab I am used to clicking on the link to the record or directly on the image, that’s all changed and I’m not sure it’s for the better.

Clicking on either the link to the record or the image now takes you to the side window where you have a three step process to follow, if you choose to.

I had an attempt with a census to follow ‘the process’ but I am not able to follow my normal procedure of entering the actual date of the census and the actual address in the Location.
    It means I need to go back to each person and alter the date and place populated by Ancestry.

If you want to go directly to the record you have to scroll down the side window to the link.

Whichever way you choose to look at a record it’s additional mouse clicks which add up to time wasted.

What do you think about this latest 'enhancement'?

2. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

That's "progress" o_O- just consider yourself lucky that they have not foisted a touch-screen interface on us = mobile phone compatible "tiled" pages (though windows 10 users are now used to one). If you are happy with opening a new tab you can use rt-click or, possibly, middle-click.

3. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

Horrible. If you click on the actual record collection title in the side panel it takes you to the original screen we had before - which is much easier for matching and amending dates/places etc in my opinion.

4. I am a windows 10 user, on a desktop and have no idea what you are talking about. Possibly because I don't own a smartphone either.

Why didn't I notice that?? :oops: Thanks.

Horrible is an apt description. IF they invite feedback I will be quite vocal.

5. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

It was this afternoon, after a morning struggling, that I discovered it. Some guidance from them when they make changes is obviously too much to ask!

6. They introduce 'enhancements' without even telling us they are going to happen. If you 'complain' they tell you it was asked for by their customers, good excuse :rolleyes:

7. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Should I count myself lucky that it hasn't popped up on my page yet?

8. I think so.
    I wonder if it's being rolled out somehow. I use ancestry uk so if you are using the au version it might come later. I've had it for a few days, the first time I saw it, it disappeared so I wondered if I had been looking at something that was 'in test'.
    About a day later it came back again and I do wish I could turn the thing off! Likewise those stupid 'Possible records'.

9. John Dancy

John Dancy LostCousins Superstar

I have noted another "Enhancement" -- Where they suggest other Ancestry trees to look at - you now get three rather than up to ten (or more) - Even more frustrating is that, if your Hints refresh is slow, it comes up with ten trees to start with and reduces the number before you can do anything.

10. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I don't have either of these 'enhancements' on my hints page on ancestry.co.uk. As jorghes says, perhaps I should count myself lucky, but no doubt we'll all get them at some point.

11. I must admit I don't quite understand what you mean but the number of tree is shows are only those with your person in them, therefore if there are only 3 trees with that person it will list 3 and if there are 10, ditto.

12. The Possible Records I referred to are not in the Hints page, they are mid profile if you don't have a marriage or a death record for the person. They are ridiculous too, often I'll see a possible marriage for somebody who died at a young age.
    In my view they are a total waste of time!
    here is an example:

upload_2021-1-19_12-19-6.png

13. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I thought it may have been that when I considered what you had said previously - I think only that is what opens the side panel, much like it does in ThruLines or the DNA results when you check one of those "evaluate" hints.

I admit to completely ignoring all that on the main page, I check hints on the hints page usually!

14. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

... or even before birth/after death (and by 10's of years)

15. John Dancy

Hi,
    When you click on "Hints" the leading record that comes up is
    "Ancestry Member Trees"
    "From 3 other public Ancestry Member Trees"

For the last fortnight whoever I reference, there are three trees, never more, rarely less, as the family I am currently researching has a lot of members researching it with trees (one couple have 92 trees showing the same marriage) and in the past up to ten have been shown. I wonder if Ancestry would rather we search their Public Trees than they give us hints as the three they show are quite often ones that are incorrect... As I said, when the computer runs slow I have seen "Ten trees" come up while loading the hints, only for it to reduce to three when it has finished.
    I will have to see whether the same three come up the next time I look at a person.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. John Dancy

I agree completely - The marriage that was on 92 trees was for Ralph Wildgoose - so it would certainly not be a chase.

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. Have you tried using the All Hints and clicking on Member Tres at left? in one of my trees the result is 20 people and although there are some that have 3 trees I can see one that has 9 trees.
    Others have 1 tree, some have 2 and one has 4.
    I do find the best way to find trees is to click on Search in the person's Profile then choose Family Trees at left.

18. John Dancy

Just done that, 176 pages of trees. Can't say I have looked at them all but the first ten pages are all 3 trees and a random search further on has one or two reduced to two or one. None has more than 3. not possible.

19. Seems odd, perhaps you should contact Ancestry through the support centre.

20. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Oh yes, I've seen those. Like you, I don't find them very helpful and so tend to ignore them.