1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry creating tree issues with uploaded trees

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by KimL, Jun 14, 2022.

1. KimL

KimL LostCousins Member

Has anyone else noticed any issues on Ancestry with trees they have uploaded from FH?

I have strange locations appear in my tree as a result of searching using the normal search. These locations only seem to appear when related to "found in Ancestry Trees" results screen. The only explanation I can think of is an error between Ancestry and Family Historian. When you select the person and look at the detail it is correct. I cannot find the error anywhere on the individual within Ancestry so I am unable to fix it.

It is like this on numerous individuals and several trees, I am not sure when it changed but it has been fine for years.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix or should I just export my tree, add it to ancestry again and delete the old one?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Ancestry example.JPG

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

This looks to me like the Ancestry is trying to make sense of the birthplace Hoxton New Town (as you have given it) and deciding for the results screen that it must be the New Town in Georgia USA. The search does this if you haven't selected a standardised place from the Ancestry dropdown, which you won't have done when creating your tree offline.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Kim, you should always add the country when adding an address. I always add in this format, Address, Town, County, Country.

There's probably a way in FH to mass update the same addresses.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. KimL

KimL LostCousins Member

Thanks, I'll have to look into how much work it will be to change. It's a shame.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Ancestry no longer require place names to be selected from the drop-down in searches, so perhaps they'll find a better way of dealing with them in trees.

6. I can't say I entirely agree with this. As a 'test' I chose to search in the Birth, Marriage & Death, including Parish collection. I entered a name and a birth year then in the Location field I started to type Hoxton, it gave me a drop down and I chose Hoxton, Middlesex, England. (It was Middlesex before it was assimilated into London).
    Using the same process for the Location in a fact, also gives me a drop down with the choice of Hoxton, Middlesex, England.

I know if I do not include England Ancestry will look for anywhere in the world that is Middlesex and there are a few in USA, but it will only display the USA address in a search, it remains as is in the tree.

When I sync from Ancestry into FTM the addresses are exactly as I have them in Ancestry, and, think what you like but I do not include England. Any address in my trees is England unless otherwise stated.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Which part do you disagree with? The fact that Ancestry no longer require place names to be selected from the drop-down, or my hope that having made that change they might find a better way of dealing with place names in trees?

8. KimL

KimL LostCousins Member

I agree with this and this has been the structure of my trees too. In FH I have used GRO refs and actual addresses/ places so I can identify what information is correct and where it came from at a glance. It might not suit Ancestry but I wish that it would leave the data not amend it just for search results. When I saw the match suggested I had a second look at the details and wondered what the researcher was doing that was so wrong before seeing it was my own tree. I was mortified.

9. I have taken the liberty of looking for your tree via Search and Public Family Trees and can see it is only in the search results that the address is 'incorrect', the data in your tree is as entered by you.
    I have also experimented with adding Martha to one of my 'fake' trees from your tree, she is rightly shown as Hoxton New Town, Shoreditch.

If you were to look for people in my trees via Family Trees you would also see 'incorrect' addresses, it is only the search that is 'incorrect' and personally I do not care.

Don't be mortified, it happens to a lot of users.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1