1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry census records for entering to Lost Cousins

Discussion in 'Advanced techniques for experienced users' started by Norman, May 1, 2013.

1. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

I thought I would start a discussion regarding problems entering data to LC but there doesn't seem to be an appropriate place. Should there be a section devoted to Lost Cousins where queries can be raised rather than just the "How to ...." guides.

My problem.

I'm adding people found through Alexander's FTAnalyzer and have encountered a problem. LC requires a Piece No. (RG14PNnnnn) as well as a Schedule Number. These are required entries but Ancestry sometimes doesn't list the SN.

[​IMG]

Any ideas anyone?

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I have encountered this problem on more than one occasion when entering data into LC. When the SN is missing I invariably bite the bullet and use FMP which, to date at least, never fails to provide the SN. Now I accept this does require a FMP subscription (or pay to view) but it seems to be the only way round the problem. Unless someone knows different of course.

3. Norman

Thanks Bob. I'm retired so have to watch my expenses. Two subscriptions wouldn't be worth it for me and Ancestry is my preferred site for a number of reasons.

4. Bob Spiers

Yes I too am retired, and quite some years ago at that, and we (my wife and I) have had to cut our cloth to suit in many areas.

I also have my reasons for preferring Ancestry and know well its virtues and vices. An online friend took out a subscription to FMP and sang its praises (as did Peter for that matter) and over time we found by cooperation, that where one failed the other often triumphed.

Sadly I lost my friend a couple of years ago, so resorted to paying to view whenever Ancestry failed to turn up the goods. With FMP's noticeable improvement of late -and my own increased research activity - I decided I could justify (for the time being at any rate) the two subscriptions. Only one stipulation.... don't tell my wife!

5. Freckneale

Freckneale Member

The schedule number should be written in the little box in the top right corner of the 1911 census page, even if Ancestry haven't transcribed it.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Where it's an institution the forms are different, but in this case findmypast uses either 1 or 9999 (usually the latter).

You can check which is right using a free census reference search at findmypast or 1911census.co.uk

7. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

I've just checked the 1911 census on FamilySearch - you can find an entry for a person there but it's less than helpful as there are no reference numbers, and no family members. It does give census place and birthplace, and age, so may be a bit of help.

8. Norman

Thanks Freckneale (and Tim for a PM). I've never noticed the SN on the top of the image. I've always taken it from the summary page.

9. Bob Spiers

Just re-checked a recent search on Ancestry where the 1911 Record did not give the SN Number, but which I did find in FMP. Sure enough the 'Number of Schedule' (SN) is recorded top right by the Enumerator so well done for that information. Even so I prefer FMP for 1911 Census searches where they record all references in one place.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Moderator Staff Member

FMP or Ancestry? I pay for one and my husband pays for the other! I think both are indispensible for "swings and roundabouts"

• Agree Agree x 5