1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ahnentafel numbers, I am curious ......

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Britjan, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

about the highest numbers forum members have been able to add to their LC lists.
    For the sake of those who have families who had already emigrated I am equally curious about those who had direct ancestors alive at the time (1841) in other countries.
    In honour of "Father's Day" I revisited my number 90 and 92 ( ironically both born c 1776) and decided that I had identified 1841 census data that I could reasonably enter for them. Since one of them is a "Smith" this was no easy task. My complete "numbers" collection on LC is still woefully small and decidedly lopsided, despite the fact that most were probably still living in England.

PS .... unfortunately the new data did nothing towards identifying new lost cousins..... sigh

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I think the highest number ancestor I have been able to enter from the 1841 census is 249, and I think I have two others from that generation - 174 & 226

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Amazing! The highest number I can enter from the 1841 census is 31 - a great-great grandmother.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I suspect you're younger than most of us, Pauline.

What I'd like to know is whether anyone has entered any living people on their My Ancestors page? Most likely if you have relatives on the US 1940 Census, but there must hundreds of people still alive who were on the 1911 Censuses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I was going to say that the age of the LC member will be a factor in this! I'm no spring chicken but I am not yet of retirement age.

6. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Interesting question

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

My highest numbers are 130 (pre-emigration) and 226. But then I haven't found everyone or put everyone on the Lost Cousins list yet!

As for the living people - my lowest number on the Lost Cousins 1911 census is 6... but unfortunately my grandfather (born in 1909), died in late 1980s. (One side of my family is quite "old" - that particular grandfather was 10 years older than my other grandfather, and his wife -my avatar- would have turned 100 this year if she was still living).

As for the numbers I can add - my paternal extensions mostly emigrated in the 1840s (a few of them from Scotland, the 1841 census of which isn't able to be added) and one side of my maternal line is missing because my g-grandfather was illegitimate!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  8. SuzanneD

SuzanneD LostCousins Star

My highest ahnentafel number is 237 - I have 15 ancestors from that generation (my 5x great grandparents) listed on the 1841 census on Lost Cousins, and one of that generation made it to the 1881 census as well! As Peter says, that probably indicates I'm younger than most here.
    The lowest ahnentafel number I have listed is 36, as almost all of my immigrant ancestors had left the UK for New Zealand by 1881. I have only one ancestor still living in the UK at the time of the 1911 census.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. jorghes

I know how you feel! Although my tree is split down the middle - my mother and her parents were 10 pound Poms, so that side is completely in the UK; on the other hand, my father's side pretty much all emigrated to Australia by 1851 (other than the lone latecomer, his Scottish grandfather who emigrated in 1905).

I still have a bit of work to do before I have all of my 5th g-grandparents & 6th g-grandparents on Lost Cousins, the 130 ancestor is one of the only ones on my father's side who were in England in 1841.

Do we need to take an age poll?

10. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

My lowest is 4 and my highest is 113 so far

11. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Regarding Peter's post on people still being alive who appeared on the 1911 census, I have some new borns on the census who are no longer alive; can't find anyone younger than that.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  12. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Lost Cousins has a long way to go if I'm to add my 5 and 6 great grandparents. I have one 6xggrandfather 1660-1726, another 1650-1724; another 1665-1774 ........... and so on!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

My highest is 62 born 1780 and I haven't anyone that was on the 1911 census still alive on my tree.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. jorghes

I'll have to correct myself - found an error in my list of ancestors on Lost Cousins yesterday - my highest is actually 248 (73, born in 1786, although listed on the census as born in 1771) as well as my 226 (born in 1771). For my emigrating side, it's 126 (1791) and 130 (1786), both of whom had their children emigrate in 1840 - I still have bunch of them to find/list on Lost Cousins, so I'd better get to it!

(My lowest is still 6 on the 1911 census)

15. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Well I'm past 70 and still have a part-time job so I am still not yet of "retirement age", at least not in my own mind!!
    AND
    Thanks to everyone who has jumped in so far, interesting reading so let's hope other members share. I have 4 as my lowest as well although it's along one of the shortest lines I have been able to identify pre 1851. I have a lot of "distants" born in 1910 and 1911 but so far nothing concrete to prove any are still alive.

16. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Well done Jorghes , and I'll take a small bow when "Red Dragon" announces this week's figures which I hope will include some of your entries.
    Just came back to edit this as I see you have to hand enter your entries as you can't use Alex's marvelous programs, so double well done!!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  17. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Have I missed something important? I thought that we all have to enter My Ancestor census references manually. I am not aware of Alexander having a program which could do that for me. Please don't shut me out from modern technology just because I am now another year older. Perhaps I have not heard about it because it is an app which only runs on a hand held computer? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

My lowest is 2 - my father - on the 1911 census. I can't conceal the fact that I'm a Lost Cousins 'oldie' - in age maybe but not anything else!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Just missed with my Dad, born 11th June 1911, so.... 4,5,6,7 my low ones

20. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Mea culpa ... that was a bit of hyperbole as to be honest I am not quite sure of all the features of Alex's stuff although I am sure some kind soul will set me straight. Can't use them myself for the time being so it was jealousy creeping in.