1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Age to inherit

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Pauline, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

One of my Wiltshire ancestors left a will, which was proved in 1641 and written a year or so earlier.

Two sons are mentioned in the will, Roger and Richard. I know that Roger was baptised in December 1620, but there seems to be no surviving record of Richard's baptism or the parents' marriage. However, it appears from the will, and an earlier lease, that Roger may have been the elder son.

What puzzles me, though, is the will says that Roger is to receive his inheritance when he is 24 whereas Richard is to get his at age 21. Why the difference? And is there anything significant about the (probable) older son not getting his inheritance until he is 24?

2. pjd

pjd LostCousins Star

If Roger was the older son perhaps their father's intention was that both sons received their inheritance at the same time i.e. when the younger son had reached 21?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I’d wondered that as well, but wasn’t sure if there might be more to it.